Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JockDoc's Harley-Dvidson FXR

JockDoc's Harley-Dvidson FXR

Fist let me say Thank you to Brian fr the chance to spruce up his bike.

Rode the bike home and then about 6 miles past that an from what I can tell the bike is very mechanically sound. Rideís great, runís strong but does need a tune up because it has slight stumble at low rpm, and the brakes feel good. No shakes or excessive vibration.

From reading the paper work that came with the bike and looking at the controls this is a Cop bike (Donít worry Iíll do my best to get the bacon smell off it) obviously it has been striped down from itís former days as a cop bike.

It does need some cosmetics because Iíd say that most of this bikeís life it got cleaned and detailed by a disgruntled trustee at a jailhouse and because of that much has suffered as you will see in the pictures.
    I posted some of it sitting with mine to show some of the many different custom things that can be done to make the overall look of the bike different.

For example, My bike sitís 2 inches taller and the fork is 1 inch shorter but because of some the custom touches it looks just the opposite.

Dash board is a little weathered and the fuel gauge doesnít work right.

Engine should clean up well

Wheelís, brake lines, and sliders (shocks) are weathered.

Frame and other black biís need repainted or powder coated

Chrome is pealing on the fender forks

Chrome on the primary cover is pealing

Drive belt guard should clean up but does have some surface rust.

Cop gauges and controls look a little worn

Gotta work on clearing up some of this wiring from the emergency lights and such

In the last picture I removed the sissy bay and tassels, leaned the handle bars back some and changed the whole look of the bike.

Did some cleaning up which went a long way and we did some playing around with some things to show how a little modification can go a long way. (no charge for this time again we were just playing around)

With the seat removed you can see how a solo (single) seat with a passenger pad on the fender would greatly reduce the line of the bike.

Then we decided to extend the forks as far as we could which was about 1 ĺ and here is an example of what a change that made.
    (the forks will polish out)

Without the seat in place

And with it

How a low profile (solo) seat would sit vs. with the seat it has on a lowered rear fender. The problem with using this seat is that with a lowered fender the passenger would side off.

Plus there is this gap that would never do.

Amazing what a little soap and water will do.

Oh and look what removing the front signal lights does for cleaning op the look of the front. Of course you can get some that are made into the back of the mirrors so they are hidden.

Sometimes on a bike ďless is moreĒ Iíll be send you some links soon for some parts ideas. Iíve been spending a lot of time in the J&P catalog.

Got her stripped down and the chassis painted. Less than 20 hours in so far.

I have a list of parts for you in the next few days.

Gotta have rear fender struts (Iíll get a part number for all needed parts on the upcoming list)

I just want to show why we need these parts.

The triple trees are set up for all the ďCop stuffĒ so we need to change that.

The Primary cover is just to ruff to use.

The rest of the pictures are of some of your new parts and the tear down process all the way to painting of the frame.

After 48 hours into the job here is where I am. Most of the blue parts are painted and I hope you donít mind that I took the liberty of ceramic coating the engine black and cutting the cooling vane edges off clean.
    The reason I did was because even after using ďaluminum brightĒ which is 3 different types of acid mixed together to clean the engine I was only left with an even shade of ugly. The years of abuse had left the engine so oxidized it just wouldnít come back without taking it apart and blasting it.
    All the gaskets in the engine look new which is a good indication that the engine has been rebuilt and thatís a good thing.

87 Hours in and as soon as the rest of the parts get hee she will be finished. Iím guessing just over 100 hours should do it.

We had talked about a different seat and after getting the main part of the bike together I think one is in order. In my opinion a solo seat with a detachable passenger pad would be the direction I would go. Reason being, You may take your wife for a ride a few time butís itís my prediction that she wonít like being a passenger on it. For one the exhaust comes out right at the heal of the passenger foot peg and Iím betting the noise for a passenger will be disturbing. Also, with the bike lowered in the back (you can see how much in one of the pics with the tire on the ground) it will give the feeling of sliding off. Of curse you can get a shirt that reads ďIf you can read this then the (we will say ďwomanĒ) fell off!!Ē She might not appreciate that and she does no how to neuter.....
    Overall the build has gone well and I think the bike will give you years of fun.

Sorry fr so many pics bu with this being the first time I have done a bike for a customer I wanted to document well so that I might get to do others.

Here is a before and after shot of the polishing of the fork legs.

Early mock up pic

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    where is the green with envy emoticon......that is staggering
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Connoisseur of Gnome's, concrete pigs and Pink Flamingo's jockdoc's Avatar
    Fantastic $$$$$$. Like said on the other site you made my day. I just got up and got to work and had to take a look again and Wow I love it. Going to be great to go down the road on it. Can't wait to hear it and see you test driving it down Cool Branch Road. Thanks

Just a few more pics of her going together. Random shots that I thought you might think are cool.

Rotor came in today along with the master cylinder, and the choke plunger. We will need a headlight mount as the new one didnít come with one. You can probably call them and tell them the type headlight you have and they can send you one. Donít need anything fancy.
    We will also need to get a speedometer cable as the stock one doesnít fit the new speedo.

Other than that I think I can have her up and running when I get to spend a little time with her.

Let me know if there is anything you donít like the looks of and we will see what we can do about changing it.
    The front wheel is just mocked up waiting on the second rotor.

magic.......love some of that detail too.....

$$$$$$.... Fantastic. thanks so much for the pics. I love the look of the bike and can't wait to hear it roar. I will work on the other parts. Thanks again $$$$$$ can't wait for December to get here so I can come and see it.

Well she's finished except for the electrical wich will happen this week. Items that you will want to still change are the throttle cables which need to be 4" longer than stock and a different seat if you want.
    Also, the top of the rear shocks are exposed and one can get chrome covers for those as well.

Nice work $$$$$$.

A work of art mate.

Congratulations Brian.

Will you be putting Panniers on her?
    Everything's good!

fag bags.......he wont......or he might,,,,,Brian are you putting panniers on the bike.

(just quietly, i have them on my bike)

it is a work of art. Can't wait to go for a ride. $$$$$$ if you get time I would love to see it go with you on it. I especially want to hear it. (Why does this sound like a 1-900 call). Does it have a nice rumble? It looks fantastic and beat it feels even better. I will probably go with saddles. I have been looking but have not found the ones I want. I can't wait to do another one but I better get this one over here first. Thanks $$$$$$ you are a true artist and craftsman.

$$$$$$, I hope you've stuck those photo's on FL mate?
    Everything's good!

Do another one........another one!!!!!

BOGAN!!!

Damn, $$$$$$, that's a helluva nice bike!!!!

---John

If you want bags let me ride it toa local shop and try on some different one's and I'll picture them as I do.

Also, I will make vids when I get it running after the electrcal is finished this week.

Thanks y'all.