Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: '59 Dodge Custom Royal hardtop

What fantastic condtion, Not for me but very nice

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big m View Post
    Clive,

At this point I've decided to keep this one. If tht situation changs, I will let you know.

---John
    Thanks John.
    Although i think you have too many Projects and should sell it too me now...
    Maybe i should speak with M,Lisa and ask when her Desoto Vert will be started
    Keep the Updates coming Mate, And keep me in mind as soon as you get a Itch to Flip it..

Clive

I pulled the cylinder head, and there was a burned exhaust valve just as my leak down test confirmed. I removed another head from a 361 that had a valve job recently, although water had gotten in a few cylinders and rusted the combustion chambers, but I extracted one nice valve for the Dodge. I happened to have a set of old Victor head gaskets on the shelf, probably about the same vintage as the car, so after cleaning all surfaces and lapping the valve in, I was able to start reassembly.
    The engine appeared to be well taken care of, noting the lack of sludge buildup in the rockers and valley. I had to do a bit of searching for a bottle of Indian Head gasket shellac [for using on steel gaskets] but aside from that time spent, everything went back together great. Fired 'er up about 9:30 PM, rechecked compression, and filled the radiator.
    She runs nice and smooth now, and seems to be holding the water OK.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Big M Auto-

What would cause that burnt valve? Most burnt valves I've seen were from a broken manifold or such.

I love seeing the inside of an engine.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry57Savoy View Post
    What would cause that burnt valve? Most burnt valves I've seen were from a broken manifold or such.
    Most are caused by running lean, or too hot. Not seating well is another cause.

---John
    Big M Auto-

I've never known of another man that can round up a bunch of old mopars like John, he's like the mopar whisperer, I reckon its getting to the stage where you could place an order for a classic mopar from him and he could find it for you.

Wow John, this is truly a find! Lucky you! I love that Custom Royal! Back in 1993 (I was 18) I bought this Wheels magazine with an article about a 59 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Hardtop Coupe from Sweden in a related color combo. In contrast to the Plymouth models I also like the fender skirts on this one. If I would not have my Christine now, I would make you an offer which you cannot resist!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCRLHC01.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	3032 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCRLHC02.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	3030 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCRLHC03.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	3031

WOW ! Victor gaskets !!!

I drove the Dodge down to my office yesterday, it seemed to run good. a bit of pulling when braking, but I can expect that until the surface rust has worn from the drums. The radio even works, I tuned it to an oldies Mexican station [all that's on the AM band here is Spanish or talk stations].
    I figured the policeman on duty may have a few questions when I passed his patrol car, as I had no current tags on the car, but he was unfazed. He probably knew I was not going to make a habit of it, and would have tags on it shortly.

The only items now left to fix is the dash lights, either the rheostat has failed, or there is a blown fuse in the circuit. Also the fuel sending unit does not read-there is an open in the resistor wire causing this, and I'll have to pull another from a tank to replace it. Then it will be 'On the road, again!'

---John
    Big M Auto-

I'm glad you have it running so you could drive it even though it didn't last long, must have been fun.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

That one just jumped in value!

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry57Savoy View Post
    That one just jumped in value!
    Shut it Larry........

Actually the More John does to it De-Values it , as it takes away the Barn Find Survivor Status. So the Sooner he Flips " This Old Shed " , The better for him.. As it now Runs and Stops i reckon NOW is the time to move it on before he Loses $$ on it.. And Pink is Sissy...

What Ja say John............... ???

Cool find as usual John. Pittsburg KS is where my wife and all of her family are from, we were justthere a couple of weeks ago. I sent them the pictures of your car to see if they remeberJD Motors and if they have any old pictures of that dealership by chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebels-59 View Post
    Shut it Larry........

Actually the More John does to it De-Values it , as it takes away the Barn Find Survivor Status. So the Sooner he Flips " This Old Shed " , The better for him.. As it now Runs and Stops i reckon NOW is the time to move it on before he Loses $$ on it.. And Pink is Sissy...

What Ja say John............... ???
    LMFAO, Clive!!
    Big M Auto-

Quote Originally Posted by 58 Ray View Post
    Cool find as usual John. Pittsburg KS is where my wife and all of her family are from, we were justthere a couple of weeks ago. I sent them the pictures of your car to see if they remeberJD Motors and if they have any old pictures of that dealership by chance.
    Cool! Let me know what they say!
    ---John
    Big M Auto-

I have to admit, thats one of the coolest Dodge's I've ever seen. The colour matches it perfectly :)

Thanks!
    Big M Auto-

I got tags and insurance yesterday, so the Dodge is officially back on the road!

---John
    Big M Auto-