Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: Doobster's Christine

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    Probably not relevant to the UK, but here we can't use left hand drive cars for anything that has financial gain. so no proms that would pay you etc etc....all about insurances.
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    Sounds like a wheel bearing , but worth having a check the diff too., I had a similar issue with my old Humber, it would whine at 60mph and go away below 60.
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Wheel bearing is possible as well as the pinion bearing. That's just educated guessing until It's sorted out properly.
    Go outside and enjoy life.

Having a knowledgeable person checking out the car in person is the best bet as you know. Cheers.

Dean changed a wheel bearing but my car has a full disk brake conversion so parts are on site order for the correct set up and will be fitted soon, but I’m not convinced it’ll cure this strange drone sound that kicks in around 70mph.

Dean thinks my magnaflow exhaust system might benefit from having resonators fitted.

Possibly a project for next year.
    Everything's good!

Do you have a crossover pipe fitted on that exhaust?

Rob
    "Let's motorvate!" - Arnie Cunningham

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan
    1962 Ford Falcon Ratwagon
    1974/5 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile cop car
    2003 Ford CVPI

I don’t think so Rob.

From what I can see, two pipes come straight off the exhaust headers to halfway along the chassis, then into two wider parts of the magnaflow exhausts (which I assume are silencers).

The exhaust sounds great, from what I’ve read resonators shouldn’t change the sound too much but I’m hoping might improve the drone sound and mild vibration around 70mph.
    Everything's good!

I had a similar issue with my '62 Ford Falcon wagon...we installed a 302 V-8 into it, with 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers...but when I added the crossover pipe (directly behind the transmission and under the U-joint), if fixed the problem (and added some bonus torque); it had something to do with equalizing and smoothing out the exhaust pressures, or so I was told.

Rob
    "Let's motorvate!" - Arnie Cunningham

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan
    1962 Ford Falcon Ratwagon
    1974/5 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile cop car
    2003 Ford CVPI

Winter’s just around the corner, I think the exhaust is a project for next year.

Thanks Rob.
    Everything's good!

I've been extremely tied up this year but managed a couple of shows in the summer.

One was at the famous Brands Hatch racing track, "American Speed Fest"...... lots of American Cars, Nascar racing..... well worth a visit.
    I had a prime spot, Christine was the centre of attention, people were even running after me for photos as I drove out of of the show ground.

My son pointed out in a traffic jam on the way hmoe that more people were looking at us that the Super cars that travelled along near us.
    People were hanging out of windows and shouting compliments to us.....

That was in stark contrast to another show near to my village at a local golf course.

The show was billed as Classics and Supercars.

There was a Bugatti Veyron there... my son told me it was worth about Ģ3million.

What with all the Lamborghini's and Maserati's..... I think I only saw a couple of people pay any interest to my car all day.
    No one paid much attention to the great classic cars that were there.

There are a lot of rich arse holes with too much money to spend out there.

I've not driven my car much this year, I can't afford the petrol prices, but I do turn her over regularly, she needs her paint looking at in a few areas, I hope I can get some money together at some point to get her sorted.

My regular car (a company car) is a Ford.

Last Friday whilst travelling in the fast lane, in the dark, at about 70mph, the alternator gave up the ghost.

All electrics died.

My car is black, the A12 road is a death trap with no hard shoulder, I had no lights or hazard lights and two police cars (and the AA) drove past me without stopping (it was too dangerous to stop for the AA, the police didn't see me in the dark).
    I had to resort to waving my mobile phone light to warn oncoming truck that thundered past.

I wouldn't mind but the car was serviced a week prior.

That was bloody frightening.
    I hope I never end up in the situation ever again (or anyone I know ever does).

Lee.
    Everything's good!

I used to have a Ford which broke down every single time I took it on the road - my 65 Thunderbird. Sold it to a guy down south and it has never seen the road since. There is a moral to these storys!
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    my 65 Thunderbird. Sold it to a guy down south and it has never seen the road since. There is a moral to these stories!
    Moral is buy Mopar!

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    I used to have a Ford which broke down every single time I took it on the road - my 65 Thunderbird. Sold it to a guy down south and it has never seen the road since. There is a moral to these storys!
    I canīt confirm this for my 56 Thunderbird. Although itīs not a perfect restoration, it never broke down or had any problems.
    Fun stuff: The preowner, also German, got this car on a trip to the USA in 1990. It sat for many years in a barn, unrestored. He drove it spontaneous from Dallas to Los Angeles and back, only had little issues during this trip. The engine broke down in the end shortly before Dallas. It bthen got an partly overhaul there and was shipped to Germany. No problems again until 2002. Then stored away until 2015 until it got to me. After a partly overhaul by me no problem since 2016.