Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Doobster's Christine

Here's Dean!

Pete
    "Stick with me, kid, and you'll have horse turds as big as diamonds."

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    That's him John..

We call him "Handy Dandy Dean" ..

Great news, Lee! It's nice to have a friend offer a hand once in awhile, that's for sure!!

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Very funny chaps, very funny......................
    I have a blonde wig too!!

A blonde wig Dean?

I always thought that was your real hair when you called by?
    Everything's good!

Only every alternate thursdays mate.

Awesome News Lee, Dean is a Good Man.

Indeed Steve... he's a jolly good old egg.

They broke the mold..............
    Everything's good!

There was never a mold, all done by eye. Hence why some things never fit quite right and parts are impossible to come by!!!

I expect a visit tomo Lee, weather permitting.

sometimes it comes in handy to pretend your measuring in Inches when actually your tape measure only shows Centimeters..
    Everything's good!

This thread goes back a few years now.

It's pages are affected by a word block requested by a member, that might confuse new readers.

Not to worry as the thread itself probably tells the story and reasons for it if read through.

Last weekend I took Christine to see Beefy.

He traveled down with his family to collect a windshield from Dean.

I took them for a quick drive around Tiptree, but Chrstine misfired once on the way back to Dean's.

She got progressively worse on the way back, finally breaking down across my driveway.

I spent hours tinkering, Dean popped by in the afternoon to take a quick look and ended up helping me push her into my garage before the rains came down.

I think there were several issues, all compounded by the fact that somehow the Distributor had come lose somehow and could be rotated by hand.

I saw some other issues so got on to Steve at BitzforOldKarz.

Steve's helped me before, I can recomend him to guys in Europe as shipping fees are much cheaper.

I have his number so texted him on Sunday evening.

Less than 2 days later a new Rotor Arm and Distributor cap arrived.

I fitted a new condenser too that I had spare.

Last night she fired back into life.

About 30 for the 318 1958 Plym rotor arm and cap and less than two days to arrive... I thought that was bloody marvelous.

http://www.bitz4oldkarz.com/id1.html
    Everything's good!

Lee, I learned years ago to keep a small set of tools in the car for emergencies with the distributor:
    feeler gauge, short stubby screwdriver, etc.

Most importantly, the hold down clamp bolts for old distributors can come loose pretty easily and they are a begger to get at. I ahve mentioned this before, but this is what you should do:

Scour autojumbles for old spanners which are stamped out of sheet steel. they are cheap and quite crude, BUT you can bend one in a vice and will be able to turn the head through 90 degrees so you can reach round the distributor to the bolt hidden underneath it. Obviously you have to find the right size, (often 1/4 Whitworth, which are very common). then you will have the perfect emergency tool forever.

While you are at it you might consider fitting a new bolt with nice sharp threads and a spring washer to keep it tight in place. The dizzy only has to move a bit to become a problem and regular nipping up will need to become a habit.
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

......And, NEVER throw away old distributor caps, rotor arms and points etc, because they regularly need replacing and you never know that one day, you won't be able to find a new one, so will have to refurbish an old one.

Glad it was only a minor issue, Lee.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Wasn't minor when I was crapping myself when she stalled as I pulled out of the junction to see a large Truck approaching me John

I'll bear that in mind Geoff.... I'm sure we tightened up that Dizzy clamp.

I'll put some paint on it to mark the position too.
    Everything's good!

Replace the bolt. Sometimes they just get too old and loose.

Did you not have distributor issues a while back?

Might be worth fitting a reliable recon unit, or buying a second hand one and having it refurbed as a spare.....?

My family over the pond laughed their socks off when I bought my t'bird. "Buy one car for the road and three more to keep it there" they said". There's some truth in that. How many 50 year old TV's are you still watching, radios or washing machines still using?
    Last edited by billy whizz; 11-14-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Mate... I had big problems with a Chinese electronic ignition set up I'd had fitted to my car...

Big John M sorted me out with a new Dizzy after I ripped the electronic ignition out and all was fine except for the fact that I think the Rotor arm received a little damage on it's way over from the States.

It was definitely usable though and sorted me out all summer.

The other day I think the Dizzy moved for some reason (the clamp was loose).

This blew the plastic vacuum bungs off of my Carbs thanks to a back fire and during my fault finding I noticed a hair line crack in my Distributor cap and the Rotor arm cracked a little more as I was tinkering with it.

Dean has problems with his silver special and suspects his condenser.

My father in law me several sets including Points a few years back so I gave Dean a condenser and fitted one to my car too.

A new Dizzy cap, Condenser and Rotor arm did the trick.....

a 13mm spanner seems to fit that dizzy clamp... but where can I get a new decent bolt from Geoff?

Cheers!!!

Lee.
    Everything's good!

Is the clamp the chrome one that came with the chinky dizzy Lee? I cant remember. If it is it maybe worth trying to locate an original one. Because no doubt if its chink it wont do what its supposed to.

Have you guys seen the new GM HEI retrofit for poly someone came up with?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Pol...0ac790&vxp=mtr

I was thinking about trying it out with a stand alone(not interactive with ignition system) fuel injection setup but Turbo City quit making them.
    "It was red and white--Chrysler never offered the 1958 Plymouth Fury in those colors; Rollie had gotten it custom-painted."

"I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

I've just brought an hei conversion for the flatty, I will see how good it is when it arrives.