Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Doobster's Christine

Quote Originally Posted by christineuk View Post
    I've just brought an hei conversion for the flatty, I will see how good it is when it arrives.
    I hope it works ok for you Dean, Im sure glad I don't have to fool with points any more, None of my cars have points on them anymore:)

What company is it from Dean?
    "It was red and white--Chrysler never offered the 1958 Plymouth Fury in those colors; Rollie had gotten it custom-painted."

"I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

I like points/condeser setups but what is getting annoying is trying to find good quality replacement parts these days. Old stock condensers are an real uknown quantity, new ones are usually chink and dont last.
    I got the HEI from langdons stovebolt. They do loads of stuff for older six pot GM's.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobster View Post
    Big John M sorted me out with a new Dizzy after I ripped the electronic ignition out and all was fine

A new Dizzy cap, Condenser and Rotor arm did the trick.....

a 13mm spanner seems to fit that dizzy clamp... but where can I get a new decent bolt from Geoff?

Lee.
    Rotor arms made of the hard plastic like bakelite can be persuaded to last forever, so never throw one away. Araldite epoxy resin can fix cracked ones - even distributor caps if you are desperate. I agree a cracked dizzy cap cannot be trusted though. Always give a wipe around the inside every time you take it off, and a light scrub of the contacts. The little spring in the top behind the carbon contact is usually the problem.

Just take the bolt to a local car parts place, (not a motor factors), or engfineering parts place and as for one the same. I use Bearing Man by us. Otherwise llok at the head of the bolt for identifying marks. "M8.8" means it's 'metric'. The 13mm spanner fit could still mean it is Whitworth or UNF. If an original bolt then it might be "American Fine" (other members will. advise you best).

If you can measure the thickness of the bolt and put a thread gauge onto the thread, (ebay for the gauge), then you will get what you need from Namrick:
    www.namrick.co.uk

Was the distributor off John a second hand one? It may still have wear in the flyweights below the mounting plate.....or more likely worn springs on the flyweights.

Do you have access to a dwell meter? This might tell you if the distributor is having problems.

And remember, if you need to buy a condenser, dizzy cap, points or rotor arm.....order THREE!!!
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

Hahaha! I bought a set of dual exhaust cannons from him years ago! For the 292 in my 68 Impala. I had a whole dual exhaust system fitted. It sounded very unique. Not shitty like the v6 duals all these kids are putting on trying to be cool.

I found this factory looking electronic setup. You guys should skim around this poly website too.

http://chryslerpower.com/webstore/Poly/MP-Elect-Ign
    "It was red and white--Chrysler never offered the 1958 Plymouth Fury in those colors; Rollie had gotten it custom-painted."

"I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

Is the clamp the chrome one that came with the chinky dizzy Lee? I cant remember. If it is it maybe worth trying to locate an original one. Because no doubt if its chink it wont do what its supposed to.
    I'm not sure mate, it's not easily accessible, I have to tighten it blind.
    Everything's good!

Thanks for the info Geoff.

This set up that Mark posted... does is do away with a separate coil?

It looks good but the price looks a little too good for it to be decent:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Pol...0ac790&vxp=mtr
    Everything's good!

The setup Mark posted will still need a coil, its the same setup as i have in my monaco from the factory. Very reliable if parts are good quality.
    The link you posted about the GM HEI dizzy does seem very cheap. The fact there is no name on the ignition module would ring alarm bells here, i.e chink crap. I doubt you would clear the rear air cleaner or heater box with a cap that size (the coil is in the cap top).

The setup Mark posted will still need a coil, its the same setup as i have in my monaco from the factory. Very reliable if parts are good quality.
    The link you posted about the GM HEI dizzy does seem very cheap. The fact there is no name on the ignition module would ring alarm bells here, i.e chink crap. I doubt you would clear the rear air cleaner or heater box with a cap that size (the coil is in the cap top).
    Are you saying the ignition coil is in the distributor cap???

Is it not just a case of getting the most powerful ignition coil available so you get a nice hefty spark?? Any decent ignition coil needs a good quality "coil" and some of that is dependant on size??

I'd like to know about these Petronix Ignitor systems.
    Half the price of the set up Mark mentioned and a lot of people seem to swear by them.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx
    Everything's good!

So would I Lee!!!!

I wanted to fit one to my Thunderbird, but got the same response off the UK retailers as Ib did off the Edelbrock dealers........"Duuuurrrr, Bubba dunno if it will fit your car mista, you juss gonna have to buy one and see - sorry Bubba don't do no returns for used parts!!! (Tell me about da wikkle wabbits Geordge)"

These people want to make money selling the parts, but don't want to develop the expertise to give any sales advice!!!

If you ain't fitting it to a Mustang they haven't a clue!

Remids me of a little story about a parts dealer I went into recently. I ploped an old drum brake cylinder on the counter and said,

"Can you do me a new pair of these please"
    "No Sir, they are obsolete, but you might be able to make one of these fit....." He fetches a small shiny new brake cylinder and hands it to me...
    I notice it is EXACTLY the part I asked him for in the first place, so said
    "Thanks, I'll try a couple of those please"
    So he comes back with another identical one "Check they are both the same" he says. Same box, same shelf, same obvious part number on the box.
    "Yep, in fact they are identical to my old one!!"
    "No they aren't" he said "The new ones are silver, but your old one is black" (as in covered in years of road crud and rust).

No, he was deadly serious!!!!

Have you entered your distributor part number into the website yet to check for availability? From what I've been told, Pertronix stopped manufacturing units that fit the cast iron distributors. It showed up nothing for the part numbers I entered.

I emailed them directly telling them what my car was and asking advice on what to fit.

All they emailed back was a part number, they didn't answer any of my other questions, I didn't trust what they sent enough to order anything up.
    Everything's good!

Yep GM HEI (high energy ignition) coils are in the dizzy cap, nice and neat and they pack a real punch too!!

Yep GM HEI .....nice and neat and they pack a real punch too!!

Yes they do......

Reviving this thread in the hope lee might see it sometime soon......

I remember you mentioning that you wanted to get one more headlight unit with the curly "GE" lettering on the front. Did you solve that one?

If not, my car came over with two lights marked "GE". A pair of them both in the same twin bucket. they are American spec bulbs, but I don't know if that makes a difference or not, (probably does).

If the American bulbs are usable and my two are any good I am happy to do a straight swap with you so you can complete your set. I'm not bothered about the "GE" authenticity issue. If they are that rare I will never find the other two I need anyway.

Let me know if I can help Lee.

Geoff.... that's very generous and kind of you mate.

I'll drop you a line.

Lee.
    Everything's good!

Quote Originally Posted by Doobster View Post
    Geoff.... that's very generous and kind of you mate.

I'll drop you a line.

Lee.
    Brilliant
    Go outside and enjoy life.

Billy is being nice!! Good boy.