Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68 Stingray Restore

Hybrid View

68 Stingray Restore

This will not take long to do like my Christine bicycle since I have most parts already but I am waiting on a reply a white banana seat & sissy bar, I would like to have more original Schwinn parts but that will cost a lot.

More pics later and you can see my parts bicycle in the Bicycles thread.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

That'll be cool, Matt.

Beleve it or not, I had one the same color brand new in 1968. It was the only new bicycle I ever received for Christmas. I remember we had a Schwinn dealer right in town too.

--John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

How many bikes have you got at your place now Matt?
    Everything's good!

Cool.

I have 3 that are complete but the rest are half way complete and the rest are frames that I will never be able to get together because they need wheels which are more than I could afford without finding complete bikes that would no good to begin with enough to where I could get any money back for them but if I put their parts on the frames I have that are worth fixing up but places that will have anything are too far away from me since the only kind of my own transportation are bicycles without getting a ride from someone.

The parts I have cleaned are the crank & sprocket, the bottom bracket, the headset & most of the springer fork I am using.

Beavis & Butthead 2011.

Does anyone know how to get rid of rust off without hurting/scratching the paint.

As you can see above I have rust on it along with the paint.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

actually yes Matt.... You need to use this product. Ultra One rust remover, nontoxic, safe and bio degradable. You can order it online. I use this product as well.

http://www.ultraoneusa.com/shopdispl...t+Rust+Remover

I already have evap-o-rust but I didn't want anything that I would have to dip the bicycle in it to get the rust off, the paint is a clear Campus green color over silver so if it gets scratched the green will easily comeoff leaving the silver.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineFury View Post
    I already have evap-o-rust but I didn't want anything that I would have to dip the bicycle in it to get the rust off, the paint is a clear Campus green color over silver so if it gets scratched the green will easily comeoff leaving the silver.
    No, you dont have to dip it, just run it over it.

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Not sure about this, but the results look good,

Click thumbnail to Enlarge Picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lime Rust Cleanr.jpg  

We should start a bicycle section and have Matt the moderator......
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

I thought about using CLR, I wasn't sure it would work or would be to harsh for it but it looks like it did real good.

Too bad it's not in stores because that is the only way I could get that stuff.

I don't think we need a bicycle section.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

Home Depot has CLR

I should have put the product name, I was taliking about Ultra One not being in stores.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

I just got these wheels today for it which I decided to use since original Schwinn S7 wheels & tires cost too much for someone like me, I still need a tire & rim strip for the new front wheel, a sissy bar with clamps, banana seat, pedals, grips and a few parts for the springer fork.

Beavis & Butthead 2011.

are those 20's?

Yes they are 20's, I wished I could have originals like a 20 with a slick rear wheel and a 16 for the front like the more expensive Stingrays had that is a 3 or 5 speed with a stick shifter but that also costs alot to get.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

I would go with 40 inch tires Matt. You'll be the envy of everyone on your block.
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

Beavis & Butthead 2011.

That'll be a nice bike once it is done, I bought one new when I was a kid, even the same olive green color.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.