Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lets get new parts made for us

They need the real deal trim in order to complete a satisfactory part. Sending pictures is NOT the way.
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

I agree. They need to find out EXACTLY what width the stainless steel strip has to be. If it's not a stock width then they will have to trim the whole length to get it exactly right. That could be seriously expensive, especially as the finish will be merely polished - there is no coating finish to hid the signs of production work, so all cut edges will have to be machine polished as well.

I have FINALLY found a local company who can scan old and damaged parts in very detailed 3D so they can be reproduced. They have had some sucesses in the VW classic scene where they take bent and broken trim parts, scan them and then make a computer template for a prefect reproduction to be made.

No limit on part size, but the end manufacture will be in either ABS or CNC cutting, (both done by an outside contractor). vacuum forming plastic is also a possibility.

I am going to see them asap and will be taking some Opel and Chrysler parts of my own, (door handles, interior trim), to use as a test bed.

What Plymouth parts do you fellas think I should show them?? I see this as a real chance to expand on Andreas's work in Germany and get some more unobtainable parts reproduced.

personally, I still need a good example of the interior plastic 'B' pillar cover from a 64-66 Chrysler Imperial Crown. To remake them would be easy, but a major achievement.
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    I have FINALLY found a local company who can scan old and damaged parts in very detailed 3D so they can be reproduced. They have had some sucesses in the VW classic scene where they take bent and broken trim parts, scan them and then make a computer template for a prefect reproduction to be made.

No limit on part size, but the end manufacture will be in either ABS or CNC cutting, (both done by an outside contractor). vacuum forming plastic is also a possibility.

I am going to see them asap and will be taking some Opel and Chrysler parts of my own, (door handles, interior trim), to use as a test bed.

What Plymouth parts do you fellas think I should show them?? I see this as a real chance to expand on Andreas's work in Germany and get some more unobtainable parts reproduced.

personally, I still need a good example of the interior plastic 'B' pillar cover from a 64-66 Chrysler Imperial Crown. To remake them would be easy, but a major achievement.
    You know Geoff, right off the top of my head, I'm thinking about the stainless trim that runs the length of the body for one idea.

This is very good news. It should make lots of builders real happy. Good job Billy.

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    Good work Geoffrey
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Please keep us up to speed on what's happening.
    Cheers, Eddie