Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1962 Ford Falcon Station Wagon

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar

1962 Ford Falcon Station Wagon

Ok I thought i would post the story of this Ford here. My Son and i having been working on this rebuild for a while, best explained by saying, he was experiencing the Booze and girls phase......consequently dad had been working on this car.......

We bought this car from a chap in the country for $500. The car has had the motor all done and it runs really nice now, after some fine tuning and fresh oils......

So this is how we found it, in a barn, including hay, mouse crap, spiders and all sorts of rubbish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_093.jpg   IMAGE_095.jpg   IMAGE_092.jpg   IMAGE_096.jpg   IMAGE_097.jpg  

IMAGE_091.jpg   DSC00174.jpg   DSC00175.jpg   DSC00173.jpg  
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Here we had just about gutted the interior......the floors are solid and most of the panels were too, a couple of rust spots here and there and the rear lower driver quarter panel need replacing other wise this is a very solid car.

The reason we decided to do this car was as a result of my lad writing off another falcon....he and a truck came together, totaled the car.....but at least the boy was ok........We were able to recover a lot of parts from the trashed car, including a complete new interior.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_126.jpg   IMAGE_125.jpg   IMAGE_124.jpg   IMAGE_123.jpg   IMAGE_122.jpg  

in these pics, you can see the condition of the paint and body. The doors have been shut for years as you can see, with the photo that shows the inner door frame. We also spent some time cleaning the original paint. I wanted to see what we were dealing with.

The motor was built by the guy we bought the car from. all I did with it was new plugs, points, condenser, and some fresh fuel.....and away it went, clouds of smoke and cough and splutter and after about 5 mins or so, away she went.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_112.jpg   IMAGE_113.jpg   IMAGE_105.jpg   IMAGE_110.jpg   IMAGE_104.jpg  

IMAGE_109.jpg   IMAGE_111.jpg   IMAGE_107.jpg   IMAGE_108.jpg   IMAGE_106.jpg  

My lad spent so much time preparing the body. After we had the rust fixed, my lad set to work on the paint prep. He has never painted a car before, although has painted cabinets for kitchens (He is a cabinet maker).......i was soon put in my place with the painting. He knew what to do and i just got in the way. There were a number of 4 letter word exchanges.....but he got it done and i cant argue with that...I am very proud of his work.....

Here she is in her primer.........he did the car in single stage paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 145-4557_IMG.JPG   145-4553_IMG.JPG   145-4566_IMG.JPG   145-4568_IMG.JPG   145-4556_IMG.JPG  

145-4564_IMG.JPG   145-4552_IMG.JPG   145-4559_IMG.JPG   145-4567_IMG.JPG   145-4558_IMG.JPG  

this is the roof of the car. Its antique USA white. I dont think its a ford colour, but my lad liked it. So he did the roof and interior panels with this white. Its a great colour, vintage........and with the blue, which again is not a ford colour, I think it looks great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_083.jpg   IMAGE_077.jpg   IMAGE_084.jpg   IMAGE_075.jpg   IMAGE_082.jpg  

IMAGE_079.jpg   IMAGE_081.jpg   IMAGE_076.jpg  

then the body. My son spent so moany hours on the body, rubbing back, blacking to show imperfections, rubbing back and so on.....until he was happy. As I say, this isnt a ford blue....but it does go well with the roof colour. Between coats we rubbed back and he painted....it had a fair few coats.

In these pics we put her outside in her new dress and i think you will agree the painted finish is pretty good considering my lads experience.......

in the last of the pics i have, we have glass in, new tyres and white wall inserts.

I forgot to mention, we lowered the whole car down about 2 1/2 inches all round and upsized the drum brakes. With the new steering joints, ball joints and all new bushes and rubbers, its nice, tight and handles and steers like new......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0172.jpg   DSCN0346.jpg   DSCN0341.jpg   DSCN0342.jpg   DSCN0340.jpg  

DSCN0350.jpg   DSCN0460.jpg   DSCN0466.jpg   DSCN0468.jpg  

Connoisseur of Gnome's, concrete pigs and Pink Flamingo's jockdoc's Avatar
    the pictures don't do it justice. Great looking car and great project for Slugboy. It still needs a surf board on the roof. Great addition to the neighbourhood and to this website.

It’s great to see the next generation restore a car, with help from Dad of course. Now days it seems most kids only want to play on their bloody cell phones. You should be proud as hell.

i really am proud of what he has done, its by no means perfect, we could have done so much so much better, but for what he has done, yes, i am proud of him..........it was hard work working with him....but we will look back in years to come and remember......hopefully with a smile on his face........

He did a great job on that Falcon. It really looks good!!

---John

Looks good, the wheels make it look even better.

Ahh I love early Falcons/Comets. That wagon is gorgeous! Awesome job!

-Allan
    Desert Gold and Sand Dune White...what a delight!

I wish you lived closer, I'd have him in the shop. You can make beer runs.

Well done Steve and 'slugboy' looks great and a very cool wagon

shes a ripper mate

I saw it in the thread on PC with it already done, it's nice to see some of the progress of work that was done on it.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

thanks for digging this up mate, it was good to read it again........the car is now about ready for its roadworthy inspections. im just a tad busy at work so things have slowed on the car. I fitted new window seals and bailey channel and now just a couple of things to tidy. I need a new indicator arm and mechanism, i lent on it and broke it off...twat.

i am putting it in for a full mechanical inspection, pre the roadworthy check, to get alignment and geometry checked, then licencing, all being well.

No problem, it was good read and good pics.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

Connoisseur of Gnome's, concrete pigs and Pink Flamingo's jockdoc's Avatar
    It is looking good. I am sure it will be able to pull an office chair down the street any day now.

Here is a pic that you dont see that often.......got me all fired up anyway, so much, i was shaking with excitement, sorry the pics are a little fuzzy!!!!!!

Sue, working under the hood.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1172.jpg   DSCN1171.jpg