Thread: Mopars in the park, Sacramento

Mopars in the park, Sacramento

I and M'lisa drove to Sacramento for this annual show, our biggest local all Mopar show, about 350 cars were in attendance. As we neared the show, there was a burning paper smell that I disregarded as someone burning trash, not an electrical type of smell. Then the oil light came on the dash, so I veered across 4 lanes of traffic to get to a safe place to pull over. Once I had the hood open, I heard the generator making a grinding sound, like the brushes were being chewed up. It was then that I realized I had probably gotten the oil and gen. light bulbs reversed last week when i was doing some under dash work, so it wasn't quite the trouble it could have been.

We drove to the show, and just after registering, Austin , Kristina, and Allan pulled up in Austin's '57. We went in and parked, trying to save draw on the battery since the charging system was kaput. I was parked next to a beautiful '58 Dodge coupe that had a 392 Chrysler under the hood, it was a good friend's father that had just completed the car after seven years of working on it. Very nice.

Austin parked in the daily driver class, because for some reason he was told the ForwardLook class was full. We had a good time that day, there were lots of muscle car era Mopars, and the swap meet yielded some goodies. Austin, Allan and Kristina had another show to go to, so they left before the awards [and yes, they would not give out longest distance to Austin because he wasn't pre-registered, sucks to drive 3000 miles and get screwed on a technicality]
    I, and the owner of the '58 Dodge, and the owner of a nice original '55 Dodge were called to the stand for class awards. Naturally, Tom's '58 Dodge won best in class, deservedly so. I was surprised to have won second place, [especially for a car that is daily driven for nearly ten years]. We all had to drive our cars to the awards stand to receive our trophies, and some people thought it funny because my generator was making quite a bit of noise! I guess the award was icing on the cake for a nice day at the car show, and we drove home with no further problems, the battery held good enough charge to make the 80 mile trip back home, and the Fury was treated to a rebuild of the generator on Sunday. The rear bushing had worn out, allowing the commutator to short out on the field coils.
    Photos following-

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Photos-

Big M Auto-

WOW! John,the 4 door blue chrysler
    is a regent?
    Last edited by ely1958; 06-26-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Muscle cars are ok but give me a forward looker any day

looks like a good weather day too......

Great pics John thanks for sharing, great variety and lineup of forward looks.

Thanks for sharing John... Man I love those Mopars. They all look great. The black 57 sedan is a member on FL I think?
    Go to: Christine Show Car on Facebook!

Looks like a great show, I'm impressed there's a Forward Look division! Around here, the Mopar shows just have a "pre 1963" class, and it's usually just me and someone with a 1937 model!

Good stuff, that DeSoto sedan catches my eye.

Joe, the black '57 is Austin's, from North Carolina. His handle here (and on FL) is PlymouthFury.

Thanks for the photos, John!
    Pete
    "Stick with me, kid, and you'll have horse turds as big as diamonds."

Nice photos John. Looks like a dream show of US-sourced Mopar goodness.

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    cheers john....some nice stuff there
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Looks like a great show!

Sorry about the problem but I am glad you had a great show, all of those cars look great.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

Great pics John. Reversing the idiot lamps is a sure way to stop quick with a generator fault!! :)

Congrat's John!
    Everything's good!

Thanks, Lee!

And yes, Dean is sure right about that oil light coming on, I made a quick exit to the side of the road when that came on!

---John
    Big M Auto-