Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TITANIC....MARCONI WIRELESS ROOM REPRODUCTION

My Grandad's company in Liverpool used to make a lot of consoles for Marconi comms equipment from the beginning of the 20th Century until WW2. They made hardwood consoles and installed them in ships, (including mHarland & Wolff), and trucks. That was back in the day when all trucks were coach-built. You just bought a drivable chassis and had a van/lorry built on it and his business made communications trucks for the army and air force. Unfortunately the factory, (at the back of London Road), took a direct hit one night when Liverpool was being blitzed. They also lost their stainless steel fabrication workshop and their soap factory which were both next door. In the same bombing his house also took a direct hit as it was only a mile directly up the road from the factory. He lost everything in one night. He died before the Titaqnic was found and we often wondered if his company was involved in this installation.

An intriguing footnote to that story is that the soap factory was just ready to patent FLOATING soap bars! The brother in charge of that factory went to war soon after and never came back, so the secret was lost.
    Last edited by billy whizz; 11-12-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post

An intriguing footnote to that story is that the soap factory was just ready to patent FLOATING soap bars! The brother in charge of that factory went to war soon after and never came back, so the secret was lost.
    ...If he was lost at sea, he might turn up again one day mate.
    Everything's good!

Quote Originally Posted by christineuk View Post
    We went to the marconi museum at the end of this summer Lee, not as much there as I hoped, still worth a visit if your'e in the chelmsford area.
    Is it anywhere near the E2V building Dean (E2V make magnetrons and component for Radar and Linear Accelerators), they took over the old Marconi factory.

I was an apprentice for Marconi (Basildon) when I left school.
    Everything's good!

Quote Originally Posted by Doobster View Post
    I was an apprentice for Marconi (Basildon) when I left school.

Surely he was dead by them??!!

(Larry, THAT was a freindly joke on Lee, Dumbass!!)

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    Surely he was dead by them??!!

(Larry, THAT was a freindly joke on Lee, Dumbass!!)
    Jokes are supposed to be funny.

It's not that far away Lee tis nearer to the college though, opposite the tesco.

A little update! I've been on the lookout for vintage/antique starting rheostats and came across an auction with 3 of them. I threw in a hail mary bid an voila! 3 for $50.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can see from this digital reproduction where they were located.

And here they are! :)

Cool.

I've had no bits arrive for a week or two mate.
    Everything's good!