Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1949 Ford Pickup F1 being restored at Plymouth Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobster View Post
    Is that $$$$$$ in the background? Did he take his teeth out?

Pete

Just like your Christine, it's going to look great.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

Now this is really you Lee.

Go outside and enjoy life.

What show was that from Eddie?

I don't recognise it... was that the name of the title?
    Everything's good!

Lee I hope you are JK but if not it's right in the pics.

I would love to have one of those Mercury trucks.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

That's what I meant by the name of the title in the photo Mat.
    That's a new one on me... not sure if I've ever seen that show.

I didn't know that was a Mercury.
    Was it a step up from the Ford F1?
    Everything's good!

It was FoMoCo's Canadian truck.

Famous line from the series . "It's the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you!"
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

Ah, that explains it.

Why did the Canadians want it labelled with the Mercury badge?
    Everything's good!

You know those durn Canooks, gotta be different, eh?

Actually, Sanford & Son didn't have a Merc, it was a newer (about '51) Ford.

One of the best shows from the '70s.
    Pete

I reckon they borrowed the idea of that from the massively popular UK TV show Steptoe and Son.

About two London "Rag'n bone" men.

Rag'n bone men still exist over here.

You hear their bell occasionally and take your old scrap metal out to them when they drive up your street.

Steptoe and son was briilliant.

Everything's good!

Nah, UK borrowed that shit from the US!!

Another favorite line, "Shut up dummy"

Not according to Wikepedia:

Steptoe and Son is a British sitcom written by Ray Galton and Alan Simpson about two rag and bone men living in Oil Drum Lane, a fictional street in Shepherd's Bush, London. Four series were broadcast by the BBC from 1962 to 1965, followed by a second run from 1970 to 1974. Its theme tune, "Old Ned", was composed by Ron Grainer.[1] The series was voted 15th in a 2004 BBC poll to find Britain's Best Sitcom.[2] It was remade in the US as Sanford and Son.
    Everything's good!

Hmm but kind of hard to think that back then we would have ever heard about a tv series overseas although we heard of Dr. Who unless it was on PBS but you never know, wikipedia can be edited by anyone and it could be just coincident.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

No Mat.

US producers saw many of our hit shows and even if they didn't make the TV, they tried pilot versions of them.
    Dad's Army comes to mind as does Are you being served.

Your humour is very different to ours so it often didn't translate.
    The UK shows when injected with US jokes and actors just didn't work in many cases.
    Red Dwarf, Ab Fab, Vicar of Dibley... US versions often didn't make it past a Pilot or two.

It still happens now.... take The Office for instance, the US version was totally different and not at all funny from what I've seen.

Junkyard Wars, Amercian Idol, Cosby, they're all ours.

In the UK we rarely make our on verions of US TV shows other than game shows.

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...evision_series

We don't tend to remake US shows.
    We just watch the orignal US versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...evision_series
    Last edited by Doobster; 07-19-2011 at 10:31 PM.
    Everything's good!

Confusing on the American Gladiators an American show then UK made named Gladiators then yet it says the last American Gladiators was based on the UK Gladiators series makes no sense.

Other than game shows not all of course but some of those considered remakes could like the last Cosby show just be a coincidence when some are pretty much universal ideas, some even had parts put in by what has happened in whoever wrote or created a shows life, I have even seen some shows episodes have what happened once or twice in my life before.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

I like those Merc trucks, very cool.

John, with your permision, a decal of Big M's auto's might be more appropriate for the doors when she's done.

Pete design was cool but it might be a bit too contemporary.
    Everything's good!

I thought I'd update this thread for the record.

DT offered to build this pickup at a price I couldn't refuse, he also needed money for tools and to complete my Christine after his workshop burnt down (etc).
    I didn't really have too much of a choice if I wanted to see my Christine completed.

At the time I commissioned him to restore the pickup, I was in regular contact with him and also got to see the pickup when I took the trip over to Tennessee for the meet up many of us had there, so I was pretty confident all was going well and on track.

Prior to my heading to Tennessee, DT informed me that the engine was seized but he had removed a working engine from a Mustang (and a transmission) from a client's car who wanted about $500 for it.
    I took the cash over when I flew to TN.

DT later told me he had passed the Ford over to a friend of his that owed him a favour.
    The friend was going to build some engine mounts for me but DT couldn't press him on his progress because he was "doing it as a favour".

DT later told me he had seen a pickup on line that could donate many parts for the project, but I refused to buy it, I wasn't going to risk investing any more money in the pickup as DT and I had already agreed a price etc.
    He said he was going to restore the pickup as a rat rod version which would keep costs down.

After Christine arrived in the UK the news filtered through that DT was going to prison for a long stretch of time.
    I had no idea where the Pickup and the engine etc. was.

OzSteve told me DT's ex-wife had been in touch with him and forwarded all the details of where the Pickup was.

It was with a guy called Kyle whom I called soon and had a friendly chat with, he seemed to be expecting my call.

He told me he wasn't building the mounts as a favour.
    He said DT told him I was going to be paying him for the work that was required but he stopped working on the pick up when DT never supplied my details.

He told me DT got the Mustang engine for free and pocketed my $500.
    He also told me DT sold my 4 door '58 Plymouth parts car and pocketed the money for that too.

I told this guy I wasn't prepared to pay for the restoration of the pickup as I'd already paid DT to do it.
    The cost of a full restoration was prohibitive too, I had kiddies now and other responsibilities that needed financing.

I was screwed, DT had the pink slip and the contract I had to build it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.
    I wasn't going to lose anymore money by getting lawyers involved etc.
    I told Kyle if he sold the pickup I'd be happy to split the money with him as I knew he'd started on the car.
    Even if he only gave me $100 it would be $100 that I didn't have at that time.

We kept in contact via Whatssap ("Happy thanksgiving" etc.) and I phoned him a few months later to say hello.

He told me he had swapped the pickup for a Gun and that he would forward me some money but had some issues with the gun and might need to return it to the guy he swapped it with.

That was 1 1/2 years ago.
    I gave up sending the "Happy Easter" messages and it wasn't worth sending anything else as I had no way of getting any compensation.
    I've never seen a penny and have lost the pickup.

The whole DT episode is something I just have to move on from and like several other's here, learn a lot of lessons from.

I hope to own another Classic American car one day when I'm in much better financially and have more spare time to work on one.
    But I'll be extremely careful how I buy it.

Lee.
    Last edited by Doobster; 02-08-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    Everything's good!