Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For '59, If It's New Plymouth's Got It!

Some photos for your viewing pleasure:

As I got her:

A little clean up:

Nothing works better than a Sundrop box to fix a carb!

I started polishing on the dash:

The master cylinder was garbage since the car was stored without a hood in the weather for so long, popped off the front drums and it appears the brakes are usable. The car had all new wheel cylinders, shoes, etc. put on a few years back. I checked the wheel cylidners and there was no leaks or anything...so I think they can be used. New bearings and grease are in order however....the spindle nut was tightened as tight as you could get it...and the drums were on the wrong sides...

1957 Savoy 2dr sedan, 1957 Belvedere 2dr hardtop, 1957 2dr Suburban, 1958 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Belvedere 4dr sedan, 1961 Plymouth Savoy 4dr sedan, 1962 Newport 4dr sedan, 1963 Imperial 4dr, 1963 Imperial 2dr

So you need some '59 Belvedere four door trim huh? John has a hugemungus pile of '59 stuff. The only set I have is for Fury four door.
    "It was red and white--Chrysler never offered the 1958 Plymouth Fury in those colors; Rollie had gotten it custom-painted."

"I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

Forgive my ignorance, but what are those "wheel tax" stickers all about?

Mucho better! She look fine for '59! Sun-drop not only refreshes you, but your carburetor as well!

G- The "wheel tax" I would assume, is just another yearly tax specific to this county. I grew up in Nashville, TN, which is in Davidson County, and they had a sticker tax similar to this. Every year when you renewed your TN tag, you had to buy a new windshield sticker as well. In Davidson county, the stickers had the year on them.

My old man never cleaned off the previous year sticker (as this car owner did), so the entire right corner of his windshield on his Impala was covered with tax stickers!
    Pete
    "Stick with me, kid, and you'll have horse turds as big as diamonds."

Definitely going to need some trim...thats for sure...some of it looks like a peeled sardine can lid!

This car was bought new in Fayetteville, TN and stayed there until after the 1990s.

I didnt get to go treasure hunting since the interior had been cleaned out prior to my ownership. Probably all thrown out along with the rubber floormat.

1957 Savoy 2dr sedan, 1957 Belvedere 2dr hardtop, 1957 2dr Suburban, 1958 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Belvedere 4dr sedan, 1961 Plymouth Savoy 4dr sedan, 1962 Newport 4dr sedan, 1963 Imperial 4dr, 1963 Imperial 2dr

Cool

The previous owner coated the entire trunk floor with resin and fiberglass. I'm not a big fan of that so I began tearing it up.

It was actually holding in moisture... The floor was damp in several spots.

The "new" floor pans:

Removing all the fiberglass and resin revealed quality trunk floor repair:

I'll have to cut all that out and replace the metal!!

---------------

Also worked on the brakes. I found that on the rear drums they had ground off the rivets holding the drum to the hub. It did make for easier brake inspections....

Only had to fix one return springs they had gotten the keeper off its pin. All the brake hardware was new all the way around. I replaced the master cylinder and brake hoses and bled the system with the help of Brandon. I got good brakes now! No more driving with the handbrake!

The brake lights weren't working and after testing the wiring found that one of the terminals was not crimped very well...replaced the terminal and the brake lights work great.

Put in new bearings and seals on the front.

----------

Next I was going to figure out why the car wasnt getting fuel. The guy had gotten the tank boiled, new fuel pump, etc. I tried blowing through the line and there was definitely a clog somewhere.

I got under the car to inspect the sendin unit as I felt the issue was more than likely there. I noticed this nice solder job... It of course came right off with a slight pull.

After pulling the sending unit the familiar smell of goo gas was apparent...brought back memories of killing jello jackets at Big M Auto this past summer!!! The sending unit was covered in varnish...so hard and thick I broke the holder for the sock just trying to unwrap it. I couldn't even hardly poke anything through the clogged end of the tube!

I'm going to see if the sending unit in the 59 DeSoto I got to strip is any good...if not I guess a call to Big M is in order.

That all for right now!
    -Austin
    Last edited by PlymouthFury; 03-24-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Looks like you're close to having a functional car! I've gotten by with soaking those sending units and patiently digging the crud out bit by bit. You can buy new socks cheaply enough.
    Pete

Sometimes if you soak the sender in lacquer thinner, it will remove all the varnish and work again.
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Yea I'm soaking it. I'll have to solder on a new lead for the sending unit since the old one was all jacked up. I'll see what the one in the Desoto looks like as well. I'll have to order a new sock.

Well I was doing some more work on Mary and found out why the car is running a bit rough...and smoking quite a bit!

I popped the valve cover off and oil began spilling out everywhere...the oil drain holes were plugged solid... I used my handy clothes hanger tool to clear the passages. I then went to check the rocker clearances... Then I found I had a very bent pushrod. It has to be the the shape of an L on the bottom side cause it will not come out.

I guess I might as well pull the motor and go through it. The rear main is leakin badly and I'll be taking the head and intake off so Ill just go ahead and out new seals and gaskets in the engine.

Before discovering the extra work ill be having to do I did drop the trans pan and drain the convertor...the fluid was a purple color...I refilled the trans and now it doesn't whine in reverse anymore.

Kind of sucks cause I had hoped to have the car drivable. I guess it's time to start the restoration early...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	6947
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	6948

Austin. You may end up with damaged rear brakes after braking from high speeds. The only thing that holds the drum concentric to the hubs are the rivets. If the rivets are gone, the clearance holes for the lug bolts could allow the sheet metal center plate to move off center .060" or more. The drums could break with one good jam of the pedal. Looks like they left the one rivet that has the alignment pin head.

We seem to be becoming the kings of forward look brakes around here. Mechanics shops from around town keep bringing us damaged stuff to repair or replace due to unschooled mechanics. LEFTY LEFTY TIGHTY, RIGHTY RIGHTY TIGHTY! Fuckshit! They only had this system for 60 years. How is it no one knows about it?

I love helping to keep these babies on the road!
    "It was red and white--Chrysler never offered the 1958 Plymouth Fury in those colors; Rollie had gotten it custom-painted."

"I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

Some more progress on the '59:

It was time to pull the engine out in order to do a minor overhaul.

Starting out...:

Removing "stuff"...Brandon came over to help me work on pulling the engine:

I had originally planned on removing the engine and leaving the transmission in the car...It wasn't as easy as a 1964 model Poly 318 and Torqueflite. I soon discovered that it was going to be real tough to remove this Powerflite.

I then decided to remove the radiator support in order to make some room and pull the engine and trans together.

Check out this factory marks: There was "22" on both front fenders underneath the side grille pieces:

I ran into some trouble with the radiator support...the stud that goes to the frame would spin with the nut...after an hour with some visegrips, choice words, and a torch I got the nut off... We then proceeded to remove the front clip...the car needs repainting so this is a perfect opportunity to get into all the hard to reach areas....and detail the frame.

Anybody notice anything wrong here?

My guess is that the previous owner ran the car with some nasty gas and the valves got stuck. Some of the other pushrods were warped..and a few valves are slightly stuck open...you can see where the piston contacted the valves on a few. I'm taking the heads to the machine shop this week to get them sorted out.

Whoop! She'll definitely be a driver after this! Wow, I bet she did run a bit ruff.

See, the key to having a fleet of old cars, is that they all run fine at the same time, then they all go down together, too.
    I separate mine so they don't talk to each other at night and decide what week they all want to tear up together.
    Pete

I hope thats all she needs, these things can snow ball some times with one thing leading to another...........

Cool!

Luckily you found no more surprises. I always pull the trans with the engine on those, due to the hidden bolt that sucks to get at.

---John
    Big M Auto-

Ill have to keep that in mind Pete... I think they like to conspire against me at times!

I really didn't want to get this far into it but at this point I might as well do everything I can when it's easy! I'm going to replace all the gaskets on the engine and repaint it. The cylinders showed some wear but at 28,000 miles ill just let the block be for now. Dropping the heads off today for some work.

That hidden bolt took me a while to figure out... Shop manual doesn't even mention it as far as I can tell.

Shhhh. JOHN! He doesn't know about that bolt yet. Let him find out on his own.

Seriously. That 5/8" head bolt is a f@#king nightmare. I hang the motor on the crane and stand under it to do it. Seems to be the least fatiguing method. I would recommend just not taking the trans off. Or just use a 57/58 split bellhousing to put it back together.

Are you going to install an Austin Wish Cabinet in that '59?

---John
    Big M Auto-

Of course... It's a must have accessory for any car!

Is that some kind of Satanic altar that summons Forward Look automobiles? I wondered how you got ahold of all those nice cars on your salary.