Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK PROMO CAR.

UK PROMO CAR.

I missed this auction when it was running and discovered it too late to buy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...E:B:SS:GB:1120

I bought this edition of Custom Car Magazine back in 1985 and (sadly) cut out the pages and stuck them on my wall.

There was a car used to Promote the Movie in the UK upon the Movie's release.

"Pristine Christine" as I recall her being called, is now back in the USA.

The previous UK owner visited the forum a few years ago when he was selling his car.
    He wasn't happy about some of the comments made about her and defended his car over the criticism it received.

Recently I've been in touch with him (Terry).

He said he was a little bit more hot heated back then but told me his car did have faults..... it was built back in 1983 in the UK prior to eBay and the internet.

The car's builder used whatever he could lay his hands on.

Kind of understandable that Terry might rise to any bad comments thrown his way.

I bought a Buckskin Beige Fury Die Cast model from him and when we realised who each other was, it lead to an on line conversation.

I'll post the story of his car and where it is now.
    Last edited by Doobster; 01-13-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    Everything's good!

Terry's final message which gives the rest some context.

Hello. Yes it is terry.
    <I was> caught on a bad day.Ii was a little wired back then. more relaxed now.
    I moved onto Cadillacs 54/56 and had some nice rare models but had the same issues with other people so I sold my cars to my better friend as he always wanted the motors I had and I moved back onto mustang 67/68 fastbacks but guess what, that's right same attitudes.

This made me look at myself and I wondered if I was a awkward person or something.
    I
    literally broke down every issue I'd had over my life to replay the scenario to see if I was unfair to others but I don't think I had and other people who knew me said the same.

So I gave up the cars and bought an old farm to restore in south Wales.

I've thought many times about getting back into cars and shows but what for, just to sit and look at one in the drive.
    Too expensive just to do that.

What happened to a chap called Dean?

He had a 58 with a Hemi in it. his son passed away and I never heard of him or car again.

I love the old car and clothes and hair styles and everything that goes along with it and it used to be my feel good factor to escape from all the day to day stuff.
    I do miss it as it was a way out for me.

I saw a 58 Plymouth convertible a few years back, that was nice.

I restored a VW split screen camper 66 for my mum. it won a few trophies and mag features but people just moaned about that too.
    My mum and dad just potter around to the beach and remember old days so they don't care.

I don't know what it is?
    If I said to you your car was shit, this is wrong and that's wrong id expect you to be upset.
    I'd never do that, it some else's pride and joy.

Any way good luck with your car.
    Don't let others ruin it for you.
    Maybe we'll meet sometime.

Cheers.

Terry
    Last edited by Doobster; 01-13-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    Everything's good!

Who was Dean that lost his son?
    Everything's good!

First message

Dear the_doobster,

Hello, I've heard the name doorstep before, would it be on a Plymouth Christine forum, thankyou
    Everything's good!

More conversation:

Dear arnycunningham,

Not Doorstep but Doobster mate (the "name" comes from a joke I made when trying to think of a stage name when I was in a band when I was much younger).
    Everything's good!

More abridge:

Dear the_doobster,

Interesting,
    Lee as in Lee who had a car built by someone in the states and had some issues ? The only UK Christine I was aware of was Barney Vetigers sold to Donna save Daniels, that car has long gone now, I'd be interested to know how you have the Christine film car ? Cheers
    I'm not sure what he means by much of this?
    Everything's good!

More info:

Dear the_doobster,

Hello
    No one will want to take a position whereby they have to invest their time for the sake of others except the good guys that is, I will be honest my passion for Christine dwindled to a point of nothing, not because of the car, film etc.. ( they were my child hood dreams) but because of the people in the clubs and forums.

I owned the Christine promo car and took her to shows and people just complained, you shouldn't do this and you shouldn't do that etc. I just got her out a hiding in a barn where she disappeared for 10 years.
    I actually bought the car off Dave Daniels who cried when he parted with her.

But all people did was moan, it bought me more headaches and upsets owning the car than spending years looking for it.
    I can only assume as I had something others wanted they just wanted to be miserable about it rather than sharing the passion for the car.

I also got very fed up with that's not the original car etc, it just ruined it but hey I found every car/bike/jetski/racing club etc to be the same, just bitchy, I just go to some shows and look around now, don't get involved any more.

I have a few panels of the movie car I shall be placing on eBay that came out the junk yard, I have a Plymouth 58 owners manual that has the Plymouth in red on it which is unusual, on eBay soon.

Cheers

- arnycunningham
    Everything's good!

And again:

Dear the_doobster,

Yes I was indeed that man who ripped into Hog, I wasn't on medication then lol,
    I'm still reg on forward look but haven't been on it for years,

I spent 5 yrs collecting parts and having parts refurbished for my Christine including brand new radio and 150 mph Speedo that had never been used, still in box and new bumper ends, cost a fortune,
    but you're right, after all the grief I decided to sell.

My dilemma was do I keep her as she was built by Barney Vettiger remembering no internet back then and you used whatever you could find so she was a long way from accurate and leave her as she was featured in that mag you mentioned or restore her.

Anyway after trying for a year to sell to a UK member she did finally go to a American soldier who had awful time getting her back to his home town, so she had to go through lots of countries via air base ports so it may have been the one seen going to Germany as it was her first port of call. <I think it was Roland that said his friend saw a Christine on a Train Transporter>.

I copied all history documents etc and off she went, he also paid very very good money for her.

Sad for me and others but nobody else gave a s*** anyway.

I do miss the car and have attempted a few times to get her back but the cost is huge.

I'm still registered keeper of her mmu5c.

Never mind, enjoy your car don't let others ruin it for you,

Why don't you see if you can contact Donna Daniels, she has a gold key that was issued to Christine, one for mine and one for a chap in america, she wanted a grand for it 10 years ago.
    cheers

- arnycunningham
    Everything's good!

Any idea who Donna Daniels might be and what the key is he's referring to?

(Let me know if I failed to **** out any swear words as I might've missed one or two).
    Everything's good!

When was all this correspondence? How old is it?

I got out of the British classic car scene for similar reasons....too much bitchy stuff. Too much interest only in how much money your car was worth and how much your restoration cost. You only earned respect if you spent a fortune on restoration work, whwereas I was more proud of having done most of it myself. Nothing worse than an e-type owner who smugly told people he'd sunk 50,000 into a car, (which was lovely, but only worth about half the cost!!).

Maybe that's why lots of people now go for 'survivors' with 'patina'.

I think the chap who lost his son was Dean Johnson (??). His 58 was featured in classic american a few years ago and yes it think it did have a 392 in it.

I must admit that I do not understand the relationships in some points. But Ive seen this car before in some older threads on FL including some photos.
    When I bought the book about Virgil Exner, I also found this car. Invariant features are the missing wings and the small Fury badges on the fins that belong to late-60 Furies and the V on the front fenders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	8206

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/fo...tmode=1#M47724

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/fo...mode=1#M109365

http://forwardlook.net/forums/forums....asp?tid=18144

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/fo...mode=1#M289278

This car is not the one that we saw on a train travelling through Europe.
    Refer http://internationalchristineclub.ne...velling+europe

That was recent correspondence Geoff..... probably around October time when I bought a Die Cast Fury for my son for Christmas (at 6 years old he's now a big Christine fan with his own little collection of Plymouth items).

Good info Andy.

Looks like that Car in Germany was Alan's down in the West of the UK.

Last time I "spoke" to him he was selling his car to help fund the new house he and his wife had purchased.

I wonder where that car ended up?
    Everything's good!

Lee, Yes the car Alan sold was headed to Germany if I recall correctly. Alan did a stand up job restoring that car considering what she looked like when I sold it to him.... I just added a bunch of pictures of it on FB in fact

It would be nice to see a copy of that article on the UK promo car. Anyone have the magazine?
    Last edited by Rebels-59; 01-15-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: URL removed

That Magazine was out back in 1985, it must be pretty rare these days Wayne.

After Alan sold his car.... we think the buyer flipped it from what we could make out on eBay UK.

Alan told me he didn't have much time for the forums either...
    Everything's good!

Quote Originally Posted by Doobster View Post
    After Alan sold his car.... we think the buyer flipped it from what we could make out on eBay UK.
    I often read this aphorism, but I never really understand it. translation failes.
    What does it mean by saying "someone flipped it"?

It's when you buy something and quickly turn around and sell it for a higher price for profit. It's more common in the housing market.

Thanks Robert, for making me a little smarter!

FLIPPING:
    There's a common practice on ebay UK where dealers will get their mates to bid up a nice car, win the auction - (even winning subsequent relisting) - then the buyers don't turn up. The owner relists a few times and never makes a sale. Then when he is getting fed up and frustrated the dealer moves in with a "Got cash, will take it away right now" offer. The seller gives in to get rid of the car. A short time later the car is back on ebay on a dealer's listing at a much higher price.

This was done to me twice over last summer when I was trying to buy classic Triumphs for friends.

Interesting topic, I remember the car and do have some photos as well.
    I remember it was for sale on craigslist a while ago, somewhere in the
    USA and...well it didn't look very well and was parked outside!

I posted some pics here: http://internationalchristineclub.ne...hread.php?5051

...and this is the last time I've seen it: http://internationalchristineclub.ne...hread.php?1453