Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrissy's Book Clone

Chrissy's Book Clone

Time to try and rebuild my Plaza thread so I'll feel more at home and be ready for spring.
    I think I've loved cars my entire life. I used to build and modify models as a kid but my dream wasn't to buy one all finished... it was to restore one with my own hands. I restored and customized at least a dozen pedal cars and tractors. I have also done a lot of paint and body work on full size cars. Any way to make a long story longer the last pedal car I built was Christine Jr.
    A couple months after I joined a car club John..Big M.. posted a nice Plaza for sell and when I looked at the pictures something clicked and I knew she had to be mine. I had no idea how to get a car from California to Michigan but John took care of it all for me and for the next couple weeks I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat and could think of nothing but the car. The day I looked out my window and seen it standing there it was surreal. I thought I would have a heart attach before I got my hands on her.

John's

My house

Last edited by Chrissy Mopar; 05-30-2014 at 10:10 PM.

I removed all the URLs from the pics in the FanSite and will need to re locate the originals.

Chrissy,
    The big barn in the background is long gone, my neighbor sold it to some people in the city who came out and took most of it down. I salvaged what they didn't take, then my neighbor torched what was left. There was old cow poop from years and years ago under that old barn, it must have smoldered for three weeks or so! Didn't smell too good either.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Is that what the odor was?!? I thought it was just Austin!

Just kidding, A!

I recall when Juan had that car for sale, it looked like a real solid driver.
    Looking forward to seeing your progress over the past few years, Chrissy!
    Pete
    "Stick with me, kid, and you'll have horse turds as big as diamonds."

Quote Originally Posted by big m View Post
    Chrissy,
    The big barn in the background is long gone, my neighbor sold it to some people in the city who came out and took most of it down. I salvaged what they didn't take, then my neighbor torched what was left. There was old cow poop from years and years ago under that old barn, it must have smoldered for three weeks or so! Didn't smell too good either.

---John
    John time sure flies. Hard to believe I have had her well over four years now.
    That smell had to be hard to take. Yuk!

Thanks Pete. The Plaza ran very well when it got here and is very solid. I will get some of this loaded over the next few days.

Under her hood.

A few days later my son gave me this motor home with a 440 in it with low mileage.
    I was already high over the car and now a great motor for her.

Looks like a good solid car Chrissy, Looking forward to more pics

Reminds me of the savoy I sold to buy the belvedere, Not that I can ever forget, my daughter wont let me LoL

Looking great Chrissy what did you do with that 6er?

Carlos the 6 went to a guy with a 49 Dodge. He did some welding and helped me run new brake lines.

Norm the Belvedere is a sharp car. I understand why you did it. To bad you couldn't keep both. :)

Now I had a car and needed a home for her so got busy putting a roof over her. I had a pile of second hand building supply's that I saved up for a green house but this was more important. I had a dozen patio doors with rose tented glass off the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island. The movie Somewhere in time was filmed there and many stars have looked through this glass. The doors weighed over a hundred pounds each so were good and strong. The roof is made of pole building siding. The only plans I made were the size of the floor area and how much pitch to put on the roof because of the snow in my area. Every time I ran out of two by fours I would go get more. Half expected the thing to collapse be for I was through but it stayed up and after four years my car is still safe and dry. The floor is plastic sheets with 3/4 ply over it for now.

Looked bigger with out the car in it.

This is almost the part where I last remember you were at, with the engine rebuilt and painted.
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

Very impressive Chrissy.
    Everything's good!

Is there anything you can't do Chrissy, that's just Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial King View Post
    This is almost the part where I last remember you were at, with the engine rebuilt and painted.
    Eddie it has been three steps forward and two back from the beginning but I did drive it around the yard last year. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Doobster View Post
    Very impressive Chrissy.
    Thanks Lee It was a fun thing to build. I had to make it up as I went.

Quote Originally Posted by ply57nz View Post
    Is there anything you can't do Chrissy, that's just Awesome.

Thanks for watching my thread Norm. My kids would tell you I can't cook. I would say the working of the engine and electrics are very hard for me.

Now that I had a place to work I started pulling the front off well My son and friend pulled the 440 out for me.

[URL=http://s731.photobucket.com/user/car_junky2000/media/Plaza%20from%20day%20one/progres003_zps1bcf125b.jpg.html][/URL

Next I scrubbed and cleaned ever square inch and painted it gold. The inside was very clean so I didn't have to deal with rebuilding it. Plus the low mile's on it.

Trying it on for size. It is really big and that was when the trouble started with the mounts.

Cut hammered welded and the engine was still to close to the fire wall. I ended up making a paper pattern an cutting the upper mounts off. It worked and the engine tipped forward leaving room for the heater box.