Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Chrissy's Book Clone

Thanks a lot guys. I think the headlight piece is why I lost interest in finishing it. Just don't want to bend and weld metal. Hate it.
    Went out and opened the garage and Moved things around to make room to start work again. I checked the fenders and it is the left or drivers side that I need. Starting to get excited again.

Chrissy....bending metal is no more difficult than most of the model-making skills you obviously have. You're just working with a different material. Plus, the feeling of fabricating your own metal panels is quite a thrill. Yes it's noisy, dirty and a bit burny at times, but metalwork is a very satisfying art.

Remember car building is not s huge mountain, just a series of small jobs, one after the other.
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

Pretty sure I have the front off a lefthand fender in my shed that I can check to see if it's useable for you Chrissy. Will look at it this weekend and get back to you if you still need it.

Cheers Norm

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    Chrissy....bending metal is no more difficult than most of the model-making skills you obviously have. You're just working with a different material. Plus, the feeling of fabricating your own metal panels is quite a thrill. Yes it's noisy, dirty and a bit burny at times, but metalwork is a very satisfying art.

Remember car building is not s huge mountain, just a series of small jobs, one after the other.
    Billy I love the vote of confident's you have in me. But even buying the welder didn't help make me want to use it. It scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by ply57nz View Post
    Pretty sure I have the front off a lefthand fender in my shed that I can check to see if it's useable for you Chrissy. Will look at it this weekend and get back to you if you still need it.

Cheers Norm
    I hope your right Norm. Would make things a lot easier.

Sent pm

As far as welding goes there have been days I have got to work on my car and I seem to have spent more time plugging up the holes I've blown in the panels with the welder than making any progress on it, Other times it all just goes smooth as. No two days are alike but when you get it right there is no better feeling than standing back and admiring your own handy work.

Cheers Norm

Norm... have you recovered fully from the earthquake you had endure a short while ago mate?

Lee.
    Everything's good!

I have the panel Norm gave me striped and sand blasted. It ia better then the one for the other side.

Have some sanding work on the car side as well. Thanks again Norm!!!!

Looks awesome! :)

Rob
    "Let's motorvate!" - Arnie Cunningham

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1943 Ford GPW
    1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan
    1962 Ford Falcon Ratwagon
    1974/5 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile cop car
    2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 R/T

You can easily tidy up those little holes with a bit of 'chemical metal' on the hidden side. Wouldn't bother welding, that panel looks pretty good.

Very Nice!
    "She'll Start, You'll Need These."

Rock on Chrissy!

Thanks guys! I know it is only a small step forward but it made me feel good to do this much.
    Billy I was thinking J B for the holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy Mopar View Post
    Thanks guys! I know it is only a small step forward but it made me feel good to do this much.
    JB Weld is a possible solution since it mixes quickly and has a fast drying time.
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy Mopar View Post
    JB Weld and Chemical Metal are almost the same formula. The difference is in two important factors:

1. Chemical metal has a metal dust filler in the mix, (aluminium I believe), which makes it harder and gives the resin something tough to bond to.
    2. Chemical metal comes in various sizes up to large tins and is, therefore, a lot cheaper to use.

having used both I prefer Chemical Metal. Here is a link to their website....it comes in tins as well as tubes. Sold under the "Plastic Padding" or "Loctite" brand.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-408...=8802657107969

Just trying to save you money Chrissy so you can afford to send me a lovely card again next Valentine's Day.

We have 'All Metal' filler here in the states. It has the aluminum powder also.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Body-Filler...l+metal+filler

Devcon is a good brand too. They make an aerodynamic filler.

http://www.midlandhardware.com/46141...0%7C%20%242.61
    Last edited by 58Belvedere; 10-06-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    "She'll Start, You'll Need These."

Big Boy also do a 'metal' filler in their filler and patch repair range.

Thanks guys. I am sold on the can of metal over the JB Weld for both price and use.

The piece looks better then ANY fenders I own!! Great piece to work with!! Glad someone fixed you up!