Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a little Indian Carnival ride

Restoring a little Indian Carnival ride

I was at Kalamazoo pedal car and toy show, when I fell in love with this little bike and after some good old horse trading ...It was mine all mine. I did some research and found out it was a 1950 carnival ride and there were no parts available for it. The bikes went around and round on a wood platform. The motor was a dummy made from cast aluminum. I bought a couple Indian motorcycle books with lots of pictures and the first thing I spotted was that my bike was too short to look real, so I cut up a Huffy bike to get the parts needed.
    As found

stretching the frame

Next I sent my jug off to have a second one made, so I could make a V twine and the Man did a great job for me. Next I added a suicide shifter, spark plug wires and so on to make it look a little more real. The graphics were made with my PC and printer.

]
    Last edited by Chrissy Mopar; 06-21-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Gas tank as found and after making it longer

The side pipe system was a nightmare I had to borrow a hydraulic pipe bender and buy some steal pipe, and ended up with a pile of scrap metal before I got something I could use. I added a muffler and fish tail and called it done. ...... Next I bought a full size Indian head fender light to use as a model and made mine 1/3 smaller. I made the housing from two pieces of aluminum and some JB. I sculpted the tiny face out of clay, made a rubber mold from it and cast the lens with risen. Not perfect but the best I could do.

I made the windshield and bags from cardboard first so I could make some patterns. It took a half a cow hide to do the seat, bags and fringes. Added lots of chrome studs and a dozen silver Indian heads. The leather is much softer then what is used for real bags. This would be jacket grade and easier to work with.

Luggage rack is hand made as well.
    Last edited by Chrissy Mopar; 06-21-2014 at 08:00 PM.

The head lights are two vintage bike lights and a motorcycle side light. All three light up.

The white walls are show add on's not to be used at high speeds the seller told me. Not a problem it will only move as fast as I can push it.

I heard the same things as I do when I show Jr. ....They ask where I bought it....I say I built it.....I get big eye roll. One guy told his friend he could buy as many as he wanted because they were sold in stores. I told one it don't run and he said it used to. I never argue...just set down and smile. I am used to it.

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Hey Chrissy

Seriously i am astounded at your Talent, This is absolutely amazing , Professional Grade as i have ever seen , Hence the remarks you have received to it being a original status, Cannot believe the transformation , So pleased you took the time to share this with the ICC..

Thanks Clive

Thank YOU Clive. You really made my day. Wish you were at my shows to stand up for me.

Great detail Chrissy....15 more and you could have the only carousel in your neighborhood....

Crisy I wish I had my Life to live over, I would be talented like you. You have so much talent and detail It is amazing.:)

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    incredible Chrissy, , craftwomenship at its finest........
    You are very skilled and thank you for posting these pics..........
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Incredible!
    Everything's good!

Just beautiful Chrissy it pretty much does not get any better than that,your really made it sparkle and shine.

Quote Originally Posted by DVJohn View Post
    Great detail Chrissy....15 more and you could have the only carousel in your neighborhood....

This one took close to two years so 15 more would take ....yips!! Maybe not.

Thanks Bob. If you had to choose between artistic and mechanical.....I think you would stay just like you are. Helping me get mine on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by OzySteve View Post
    incredible Chrissy, , craftwomenship at its finest........
    You are very skilled and thank you for posting these pics..........
    Thanks for looking at it Steve. It is one of my fave projects and the last piece I finished before buying a real car to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobster View Post
    Incredible!
    Thanks so much Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by 318Fins View Post
    Just beautiful Chrissy it pretty much does not get any better than that,your really made it sparkle and shine.
    Hi Carlos. Thanks for the complement. I know your good crafting your self.

Crisy, You do ok in your build Your put all your heart and soal into it. Your car will be up there with the rest when you get done with her.:)

Thanks Bob. Hope your right. There is soooo much to do to her yet.

Yet again.....what can I say but WOW!!!!

You must have 36 hours in your day Chrissy!

The quality of your work is second to non and you seem to able to turn your hand to absolutely anything...... WOW! AGAIN!
    http://internationalchristineclub.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=39&dateline=129736665  61986-2016
    30 Years of Tossin' on with owld Shite!!!!

Fantastic work!

Is there anything you cannot do? This is impressive to say the least.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.