Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My 57 belvedere

Ugh. It wasn't what I wanted to do, but I think the best course of action is for me to pay an experienced upholsterer to install my covers.
    Fortunately there is a guy with an established shop who I talked with last year. He's pretty booked so I need to check back with him around the first of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by 57belv View Post
    Ugh. It wasn't what I wanted to do, but I think the best course of action is for me to pay an experienced upholsterer to install my covers.
    Fortunately there is a guy with an established shop who I talked with last year. He's pretty booked so I need to check back with him around the first of the year.
    Well Chris, re-upholstery can be challenging. It's not impossible to overcome if you have the right tools, supplies and a little help. (Unless you are severely handicapped) If you feel more comfortable with an established upholstery shop with a good reputation, then go for it.
    Go outside and enjoy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial King View Post
    Well Chris, re-upholstery can be challenging. It's not impossible to overcome if you have the right tools, supplies and a little help. (Unless you are severely handicapped) If you feel more comfortable with an established upholstery shop with a good reputation, then go for it.
    Well, the biggest issue I have is I'm concerned part of the front backrest covers are sewn incorrectly. I have remnants of the originals to compare the new ones with, and they deviate significantly in certain areas.

Since the covers need to slip over the top of the backrests, the bottom portion has to be open to allow this. That is how the original cover is designed, same as the seat from my donor car.
    The cover from SMS has part of the bottom sewn together, thus making it all but impossible to install without tearing something.

At least if I give it to a good upholsterer, they can repair anything that might tear, or make any necessary modifications when installing them.

Also, the cushions need to be replaced, and for some reason the outer side bolsters have a weird shape added to them which wasn't included in the original. The sides normally have a straight taper, but these have a bulge that was purposely made. I've never seen it on another '57-'58 Plymouth seat, and these are supposed to be patterned off originals.

So at this point I may as well yield since I need someone who is adept at shaping the padding too.
    Last edited by 57belv; 11-12-2021 at 08:01 AM.