Name:	HPIM0231.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	8942

Beautiful looking car, looks pretty original. whats it running

Good looking "57.

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    sweet...........i do like the 57s......

should the red strip down the side continue around the rear.......?
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

She is beautiful. You have to be proud of her.

Quote Originally Posted by OzySteve View Post

Nice car. It should wrap around. Car was repainted at some point I'm guessing. Looks great though! Can't say I've ever really seen a white car with red sportone. Probably cause the colors always get swapped! ha

1957 Savoy 2dr sedan, 1957 Belvedere 2dr hardtop, 1957 2dr Suburban, 1958 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Belvedere 4dr sedan, 1961 Plymouth Savoy 4dr sedan, 1962 Newport 4dr sedan, 1963 Imperial 4dr, 1963 Imperial 2dr

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    I love this 57 for the rarity of it as well,
    You rarely see 2dr Hardtops with a 6 cylinder Manual Trans nowadays,

Is this 57 got many Options Chris.. Just wondering when it was bought New, if the Owner really wanted a 2drHT but couldnt afford the 8 cylinder , Or maybe it was bought for local Town driving only.

Very Nice Plymouth regardless, Please post up any other Photo's you have and any Info you know about her please..

Clive

Nice Car I like it a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OzySteve View Post

It does Steve. The roof usually was painted the same as the insert. (Carnival red)

Nice looking car all the same.
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    tis, , ,lovely looking car....
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Thanks everyone, She's running a flathead six with a manual trans. As for the options there's not much other than the heater and radio. I found it odd that one would order the higher end trim package but not opt for the V8. From what I can tell, I believe the car was originally sand dune white with a green interior and green side stripe and then at some point it was painted red with a white stripe which would explain the red and white interior which was done in the late eighties, the green seat material is still under the red and white covers and you can see traces of green elsewhere.
    Last edited by 57belv; 06-24-2014 at 06:07 AM.

Great motors the flathead sixes, I had a Canadian 251 flathead in my savoy and it would have to be one of the smoothest runners I've ever had

Nice motor!! Interior looks good. Is the engine bay as tidy??
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

I like the color combination on your car. Rare to see one done up like that.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    Nice motor!! Interior looks good. Is the engine bay as tidy??
    Here's a pic with the old wrong air cleaner.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJ!4FHJEnK,nZBR0JfNwDmw~~60_3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	8954

Well it's been a while since I've posted anything about my car. I've had some really disappointing things happen that has left me disgusted. After removing the seats from my car to inspect the floor, I discovered that the rear seat was in terrible shape due to the rear window leaking over the years, and also mice had done a lot of damage. The front wasn't too bad off, save for the dust that would collect on the floor every time you sat on it because of the crumbling foam.

I ended up stripping the rear seat down to the frame to assess the situation. There were broken springs and deteriorated rails which held them together. The original green upholstery was still underneath the red and white covers, but it was badly degraded. I found another seat from a 58 to use some of the parts as it too was in bad shape, but in the end I had a usable rear seat bottom.
    I got lucky and found a nice rear seat backrest from a '59 Belvedere, so I didn't need to worry about repairing that frame. Even the padding looked to be in good usable condition.

The front seat appeared to only require some foam replacement on the bottom cushion, so my original plans were to repair the seats myself. I was able to clean up the rear seat covers well enough to reuse them, even though they were a bit rough from age and use. The rear armrest covers were original to the car and in pretty rough condition. Much of the vinyl was hard and shrunk, so they warranted replacement.

A couple years passed while I played around with other parts of the car, leaving my seats to linger in the basement. Eventually I got tired of seeing my car without an interior, so I figured it was time to change that.

I had acquired a quote from a local shop a couple years ago for just over $1800 to recover the seats and armrests. I figured that was more that I wanted to spend at the time, and I knew the cost would be higher than the initial quote since there would have been more work involved then was initially stated. I believe it was the next year, a guy named Jose stopped by where I worked, asking if anyone needed upholstery work. I happened to have my armrests with me. so I showed them to him. He said he'd do them for $90. I thought that was a great deal, and would think about it. At the time I was still planning on redoing the seats myself and just having the armrests recovered.

Eventually I contacted the Jose to see if he'd be interested in doing not just the armrests, but the whole job. I told him what the quote was from the other shop, and he agreed to do it for the same amount. I signed a contract which said the job would take 30 days, and paid him $900 to begin work. Over the next couple weeks, he stripped the material off the front seats, only to reveal that the bottom frame needed some attention, as the spring mounts had been broken and rigged i the past. This caused a delay since I had the frame for about two weeks, but I got it back to him. I had expected to see work progress on the other parts of mine, but he seemed to have moved onto other projects. My mistake was that I was too lenient about the deadline and gave him too much time.

Pretty soon he was missing one completion date after another, giving me excuses as to why things weren't getting done. As I didn't need the stuff until the end of October, I kept giving him the benefit of the doubt. Eventually he became very unresponsive and difficult to get a hold of. He was rarely at his shop. After November came, I had to put the car in storage (Without my seats) And put the upholstery deal out of my mind for a while. I did continue to attempt to contact Jose, but had little success, only a couple vague texts were sent in response.

Once spring was approaching, the car ordeal became prominent again, and so I tried getting a hold of him. Again with no success, I went buy his shop periodically. There was no activity, but I knew my stuff was still in there, as was other peoples property. Then in mid March, I went by again, only to see that almost everything was gone inside. Now I was beginning to panic. I wasn't sure what to do at this point, so I ended up going to the local police department to file a complaint. There I was advised to file a lawsuit in conciliation court if I couldn't locate the business owner.

I was able to track down the buildings owner that the upholstery shop was located in, and he allowed me inside to search for my property. To my anger and disappointment, I found nothing but the old tattered package tray. I was livid, since trying to replace the seats was a major obstacle and one which I really couldn't afford. After finding nothing of significance at the shop, I decided to try and talk with some of Jose's neighbors. Eventually I learned form one of them that the shop was closed and everything was put into storage, and that Jose had left the country for a month, but would be back in mid April. So I waited until then.

To my surprise, he did return on the 14th of April, and it was the next day that I stopped by his house. There i was able to see all of my stuff in his basement. All untouched since the last time I had seen it back in the fall of last year.
    Since I now had a pending lawsuit hovering over him, he said he wanted to complete my stuff before the court date, which was in a month and a half. Plenty of time. It was like the next day that he disappeared again for over a week, with no one knowing his whereabouts.

Apparently he went out of town again but missed his flight back and his phone was damaged so he couldn't return messages. Finally he came back on the 24th of April, and it was the next day that we brought my stuff from his basement to the garage where he'd start working on it. Marginal progress was made over the next couple days until he was hit with a restraining order from his wife. She had left with his two kids because Jose was cheating on her, and she said he was abusive. So basically after that happened, he became completely worthless when it came to upholstery work. Everytime I'd stop in, he'd be working on other stuff.

After a few more days passed, he was served with an eviction notice. Seeing that the work on my stuff wouldn't be finished in the time allotted, It was agreed that he would finish the seats in my garage, but he insisted on doing the armrests in his garage. We hauled one of his sewing machines to my garage, and I told him the weekends and evenings would be the only time he could be there.That was on a Monday. I stopped in Tuesday and Wednesday to see if anything was done on my armrests, which nothing had been. Jose was to be out of the house by that Friday, so on Thursday, I stopped by again to claim the rest of my belongings. After retrieving my stuff, I told him I wanted a refund, to which he agreed. He never made good on repaying me, and he has since skipped town, owing tens of thousands of dollars to customers. I did end up going to court and winning a judgement by default, but really there is no recourse for me. The money is gone and I now have unusable seats. The only upside is I still have his commercail swing machine which I could sell to recoup some of my loss, but this whole mess has left me feeling so bitter. I'd punch Jose in the gut as hard as I could if he were standing here now.

So my stuff as it is now.....

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Damn,,,
    You really had patience with that guy for a while,, I would of lost it with him after the original 30 days contract expired..

And the quote seems high,, as i think i paid $900 for New Carpet and front (Swivel) and Rear seats recovered, and they supplied the materials.. Although that was 3 years ago in California.. But still half your quote and you already have the fabric..

Seems Upholstery Shops have increased their pricing over the last 5 years .. As here in the UK it is really expensive, in line with your quotes,

Goodluck in finally finding a trustworthy shop to complete the Seats..

What a POS that guy is!!!

You're lucky to have gotten anything back from him, eventually he will be dealt with for pulling these stunts.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebels-59 View Post
    Damn,,,
    You really had patience with that guy for a while,, I would of lost it with him after the original 30 days contract expired..

And the quote seems high,, as i think i paid $900 for New Carpet and front (Swivel) and Rear seats recovered, and they supplied the materials.. Although that was 3 years ago in California.. But still half your quote and you already have the fabric..

Seems Upholstery Shops have increased their pricing over the last 5 years .. As here in the UK it is really expensive, in line with your quotes,

Goodluck in finally finding a trustworthy shop to complete the Seats..
    Quote Originally Posted by big m View Post
    What a POS that guy is!!!

You're lucky to have gotten anything back from him, eventually he will be dealt with for pulling these stunts.

---John
    Thanks guys. Yeah he's a pos for sure. I actually just talked to him on the phone a few minutes ago after I left a message on Facebook, warning his girlfriend about him. He wasn't too happy, but karma's a bitch.

Damn, I don't know how he could even call himself a business doing this to his customers. I can definitely understand why you're pissed at him Chris, I would be too. You're lucky that you were able to track him down or your stuff could've been gone forever.
    Did you do any research on his "business" to see if there are any google reviews on it?
    1958 Plymouth Belvedere 2 dr ht (under restoration)

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE