Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: BILLY'S BLACK BEAUTY BUILD

Just found this....about the Vulcan bombers last ever flight on Saturday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/avia...well-tour.html

Honoured that it went right over our house.
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

WOWY!!! I can't tell you how happy I am for you right now. Will enjoy watching you work on this one.

I do love that your teaching your daughter to work on cars as well. You are a great Dad. Mine said only boys should drive cars.

So I had to steal his car and teach myself. Won my first race the same day. Think I was 13 years old.

Chrissy, your Dad could have had so much fun playing 'cars' with his daughter......shame.
    When I was a toddler my Nan (Grandma) looked after me while my Mum n Dad were at work. My Grandad was mad on cars and worked just round the corner - they had a coach builders and delivery van business. He often came home for his lunch and occasionally used to bring a new van that was being built or delivered, so he would drive me round the block in it, with me sitting on his knee 'steering'. Then I was his excuse to take his old cars out every saturday afternoon and as they were old classics/bangers being done up, they would often break down. So I spent many great afternoons helping my Grandad with tools while he was under an old vehicle for hours on end. It was utter magic for me, and what (my) golden memories are made of.

I have always tried to recreate that magic for my daughter, and it seems to have worked well. While her mates are posting those hideous puckered-lip selfies on Facebook, she posts pictures of our Thunderbird after a good fixing-up. Her greatest ambition is to bring an old car back from the brink of scrappage to live forever.

Sifted through the documents we found in the car...every single service reciept, insurance ticket, and every petrol reciept.......even the inspection orders when the guy was stopped by the highway cops. The car was in the same ownership from new in 65 up till 2011. It lived it's whole life at various Bethel Island addresses. Looked them up on google earth and we can even see the car parked outside on many old timelines going back to 1983. Fascinating stuff.

The owners house was demolished in 2012 after he sold it to the last US owner.....who lived just round the corner. I wondr if the original owner died, coz he sure never wanted to sell that car! He owned it for 46 years! I'm beginning to wonder if the 63000 miles on the clock is genuine.

Sadly the California sunshine has turned the sparkly white leather upholstery all dry and the colour of nicotine.....and ideas on how I can salvage the leather?

Sounds like a great day, Geoff! I'm glad the Imperial is so well preserved, it sounds like her 'only' owner really cared for her.
    Pete
    "Stick with me, kid, and you'll have horse turds as big as diamonds."

Thanks Pete.....there are worrying parallels. It turns out the owners only daughter choked to death in the back of the car.....and he had a bad back.....and the mileometer runs backwards.......

But seriously....there is a funny smell in the car!

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    Chrissy, your Dad could have had so much fun playing 'cars' with his daughter......shame.
    When I was a toddler my Nan (Grandma) looked after me while my Mum n Dad were at work. My Grandad was mad on cars and worked just round the corner - they had a coach builders and delivery van business. He often came home for his lunch and occasionally used to bring a new van that was being built or delivered, so he would drive me round the block in it, with me sitting on his knee 'steering'. Then I was his excuse to take his old cars out every saturday afternoon and as they were old classics/bangers being done up, they would often break down. So I spent many great afternoons helping my Grandad with tools while he was under an old vehicle for hours on end. It was utter magic for me, and what (my) golden memories are made of.

I have always tried to recreate that magic for my daughter, and it seems to have worked well. While her mates are posting those hideous puckered-lip selfies on Facebook, she posts pictures of our Thunderbird after a good fixing-up. Her greatest ambition is to bring an old car back from the brink of scrappage to live forever.
    Thanks for sharing your story with me Billy. Your family sounds wonderful and loving.

Couldn't resist it....had to apply spanners to car yesterday. Opened the engine bay up and removed the battery tray because it is the only part of the whole car with any rust. Even the battery tray is thick steel. So beautifully engineered each nut and bolt was beautifully designed. This car and it's build quality astonishes me every time I look closer into it. I've tinkered with a few very choice British cars from the 60's and 70's including the odd Rolls, but I've seen nothing as beautifully built as this Imperial.

The underside of the car is lovely to look at. Bearing in mind that the word "Chrysler" to my generation means things like the Talbot Horizon and latterly the excrable PT Cruiser as well ās almost all horendous products of the Rootes Group......to see a Chrysler product better built than a Rolls Royce or Cadillac is a true revelation.

Ma Mopar has done some wonderful things in the past. Sadly, the build quality for the '57-8 Plymouths are no where near your black beauty's.
    Pete

I have been praying the govt DVLA department would send me my UK registration documents by my birthday. Lo and behold, the postman brought me the Imperial's new log book yesterday. It is starting it's new life in the UK as "PWT 138C".

Great service from a UK government department. Turned the application round in ten days, including postal communication with the State of California. Not bad at all.

As they say in the UK:

Mucho de Good-o!!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    I have been praying the govt DVLA department would send me my UK registration documents by my birthday. Lo and behold, the postman brought me the Imperial's new log book yesterday. It is starting it's new life in the UK as "PWT 138C".

Great service from a UK government department. Turned the application round in ten days, including postal communication with the State of California. Not bad at all.
    Nice when things go right!

Ordered the reg plates........hopefully doing my first cruise next week. Yippeeee!

Gotta get a Kato mask this weekend.

Did my first cruise....so far, so good. I checked and replaced the spark plugs and ignition leads even though the old ones were fin. All spark plugs looked very healthy. The 63000 seems to be genuine low milage, so I'm quite chuffed.

However, when the engine got properly warm it developed a misfire and started running lumpy. It was very low on petrol so I carried on driving, thinking it was just contaminated petrol or slipped timing, points needing adjustment, etc.

When I parked up and put it in neutral the engine would rev freely and sounded so sweet. Engage drive again and the lumpyness came back. Drive was stuttering, but the engine went sweet again in neutral?

Should I assume the gearbox is affecting the timing, (not sure how), or suspect something worse to do with the transmission?.? I get out of my depth when it comes to auto transmissions.....help!

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    check the simple stuff first mate.....check the engine mounts are all good

a dead one will show up under load
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Sounds Fuel or Ignition Spark related to me,

for quickness pull the Dizzy cap and check for any stress cracks and see if the 8 internal connectors are furred up, at same time check end of rotor arm for fur..

also check when engine isnt running the Carb, remove the air box and look down inside carb whilst opening the throttle to see if you have a good squirt of fuel, if it dribbles then the chances are the internal fuel lift pump (not Fuel Pump) is gone dry and bad,
    As you mention it drove ok until engine was warm meaning the choke was on when running good, selecting gear will load the engine causing the engine to need more fuel under load,,

Thanks fellas....I knew I could rely on a speedy response and good advice.

The guys who got her ready for me and MOT'd it only reported a minor misfire and suggested new plugs and leads as a precaution. The MOT test station involved a 70 mile round trip for them and they said it ran fine. Must be something to do with the old or very low petrol or having stood for the last month waiting for registration and plates etc. So....only something minor I hope.

My first thoughts were back to Lee's running and timing problems as discussed at great length here...........

3 words Geoff: Classic Car Creations
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.