Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alleged original Christine movie car up for auction

Alleged original Christine movie car up for auction

Now what do we have here?

... apart from painted grille and bezels...

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainme...ne-up-for-sale

The story of a car with an evil spirit, Christine was yet another successful Stephen King adaptation when it was released back in 1983 - now you could have the chance to own a piece of cinematic history.

23 1958 Plymouth Furys were used in the making of John Carpenter's blockbuster, with only two of them believed to still exist. Excitingly, though, one of them is now up for sale in an auction of scores of vehicles and memorabilia owned by the Arizona construction magnate Ron Pratte.

The 1958 Fury was a classic of its era, powered by a V-8 which produced 290 horsepower and fitted with quad headlamps, a tube grille and 'lollipop' taillights - only 5,300 of them were ever produced.

Pratte is believed to have a personal fortune of $350m (218m) - it's not known why he's decided to sell off his collection - widely regarded as one of the biggest and most impressive private car collections in the United States, but everything must go at the annual Barrett-Jackson auction, which will take place in Scottsdale, Arizona early next year.

The entire collection is estimated to be worth $50m (31m); as yet there's no guide price on 'Christine' but we'll get saving anyway.

nope.... he missed a few things...... nice try.

On Facebook someone said this was the Barrett Jackson car, that was sold in 2004.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...43&h=zAQH33xJp

Correct. Martin and I were talking about it. This is the promo car sold at Barrett-Jackson that was thought to have gone to Europe. If the name Ron Pratt sounds familiar, he's the one who bought the original screen used 66 Batmobile for 4.6 million dollars. I met him at George Barris's birthday party. Nice guy.
    (Quote by James Anderson...who is this?)

...and someone else (no, I will not speak out his name) wrote:
    This is in fact a real car used in the parking lot scene when Arnie and Det Junkins were talking. I have email and written documentation from the Producer: Mr Korbitz himself as well as the car has 2 folders worth of documentation as ANY and ALL Movie Cars should have. The car was then used as the Promo car which it raised $9K for Charity and winner announced on a California Radio Station on Dec 31, 1983.

Yes I will be on the Barrett-Jackson Stage when this car rolls up and hopefully it will be heading to NY.

Best I know from similar sources is its not a screen used car its a promo and there a lot of discrepancys. The second source gave away who posted that Roland!!

The first quote came from a guy called James Anderson...the 2nd one...well, it's obvious!

My understanding was the Barrett-Jackson car went to Europe and the UK promotional car returned to the 'states. So which one is this?

Doesn't look as bright on the Grille as the car at BJ in 2004.

James helps Martin with his website.

Velly Intelesting!!
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Pete
    "Stick with me, kid, and you'll have horse turds as big as diamonds."

Well is it a real promo car or what? I have this 500k burnin a hole in my pocket.
    "It was red and white--Chrysler never offered the 1958 Plymouth Fury in those colors; Rollie had gotten it custom-painted."

"I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

Going back and watching that scene in the movie, the grille and headlight bezels do look similar. It's hard to be sure being that the scene was shot outdoors though.

It's all as clear as mud to me fellas......who is posting what???
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

Good for the hobby if there is interest maintained in the cars...makes it viable to restore and tends to bring the parts out of the woodwork.

Important if something is being sold that there is good support for what it is, and it is in our interest that support shouldn't be left to words from the Big Apple because we are silent or have a jocular approach to the matter.

As much as I find the whole talk of what is/what isn't utterly distasteful, it is the reality we face and is relevant IF a car is being sold.

I'd rather have those of us who love the hobby and the cars in the tent pissing out than the other way. Also nice to get on with the other people in the tent.

So is it up for auction?
    Arnie Cunningham: Well, isn't that what you're supposed to do with sh*t? Scrape it up with a little shovel?

Arnie Cunningham - All of this because some drunk ran over that sh*tter Welch?

Arnie Cunningham - you just saddle up and ride along with all those other sh*tters.

Arnie Cunningham - 'Ung-ung-gooth-ung,'

The Daily Telegraph website posted a listing of the cars in the scariest movies, which was naff...but interesting because they estimated the car values.

The car in Duel: $5500
    Other movie cars in the low $1000's
    Christine genuine movie car a very specific value of $179,600!
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

Oh baby!!
    Arnie Cunningham: Well, isn't that what you're supposed to do with sh*t? Scrape it up with a little shovel?

Arnie Cunningham - All of this because some drunk ran over that sh*tter Welch?

Arnie Cunningham - you just saddle up and ride along with all those other sh*tters.

Arnie Cunningham - 'Ung-ung-gooth-ung,'

I would trade that for a green stock Pinto Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 56royal View Post
    I would trade that for a green stock Pinto Wagon
    HA!

I feel as if I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'd really love to determine the actual authenticity of the "genuine film cars" out there. We know we have Martin and Bills screen used cars. Then there is the Volo museum car that sold after receiving movie car correct upgrades, but still had a black dash. That car supposedly had documentation from the film, a roll cage and fuel cell in trunk. Now the "promotional car" that sold at the 2004 Barrett Jackson west palm beach auction in all the auction photos online from that car, it originally had New Hampshire tags EVIL 58, AND clearly had grey painted headlight buckets and brows. Strangely enough, the "Genuine christine film car" going across the 2015 BJ Scottsdale auction block from the Pratte collection has the same grey painted features as the 2004 car. I've heard many times on many forums confirmation of 4 surviving movie cars. This would be the 4, with the 2004 car and the Ron Pratte car quite possibly being the same.

Bills has a post on here about his Christine and the truth. There are a lot of stories out there. The prominent one is plausible. Bill was able to keep his Movie Car Name as his car has been in three Known Movies and his cars history was owned by a producer in Hollywood back in the early 80s. I am sure in due time he will be able to shed more light on his baby.