Thread: Ghostsoldier's '57/'58 Savoy 4-door sedan Christine book clone

Ghostsoldier's '57/'58 Savoy 4-door sedan Christine book clone

Here's my claim to fame for being in this awesome club: My 1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan, with the 301 V-8 and A/T.

It was a gift from my wife for Valentine's Day many, many years ago, purchased form an old high school teacher who looks suspiciously like George LeBay from the movie (Roberts Blossom). He was the second owner, making me the third, and it was running up until the early 80's, when he decided to park it in his side yard (almost mirroring the book and movie, lol).

Even though he didn't have a sign on it, she paid 100 dollars for it, and just did beat a good friend of mine to the punch...he was going to buy it, cut it in half, and make the rear end into a couch and the front a bar; he made the mistake of telling the old guy his plans, who then refused to sell it to him...his wife had named it "Priscilla", and didn't want to see her 'killed' like that....his folly was my success.

Knowing I couldn't start restoring it immediately until I could afford to (not having any spare $$$ with a new house, new son, etc.), I decided to strip all the parts off her, put them in storage, and wrap her in some tarps...where she's been patiently waiting for me to tend to her needs, all these years later.

Hopefully, her time is almost here.

Rob
    "Let's motorvate!" - Arnie Cunningham

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1943 Ford GPW
    1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan
    1962 Ford Falcon Ratwagon
    1974/5 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile cop car
    2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 R/T

Very nice and nice back story too.
    Arnie Cunningham: Well, isn't that what you're supposed to do with sh*t? Scrape it up with a little shovel?

Arnie Cunningham - All of this because some drunk ran over that sh*tter Welch?

Arnie Cunningham - you just saddle up and ride along with all those other sh*tters.

Arnie Cunningham - 'Ung-ung-gooth-ung,'

Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

Very cool. I remember lusting after these photos from the old Plymouth Central.

She's gonna be tough, real tough!!
    Pete
    "Stick with me, kid, and you'll have horse turds as big as diamonds."

Great story!!

Looks like a really good starting point also.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Nice Rob, she should be a good project! So how long has she been waiting in the wings?

Rob you will have a great Book Clone.... Loved reading about her history and glad you saved her.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy Mopar View Post
    Rob you will have a great Book Clone.... Loved reading about her history and glad you saved her.
    Thanks, Chrissy...she won't be perfect by any means, but she'll be nice enough for me to enjoy, and turn a few heads, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by 57belv View Post
    Nice Rob, she should be a good project! So how long has she been waiting in the wings?
    That's the sad part...it's going on 20 years since I got her; I've put all my extra monies into fully paying for both of my son's college bachelor's degrees, so they wouldn't have insane student loan bills to deal with once they graduate; this being the case, the cars have been mostly idle....it's not a move I regret, though, as they have absolutely no loan debt to deal with.

One already has his degree (he's a cybercrime hacker/IT guy of some sort, working for the Fed---he would tell me, but then he'd have to kill me, lol), and the other is close to finishing a degree in journalism...once he's done, all my spare fun money will be freed up for the cars (and whatever the wife wants, lol).

Rob

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1943 Ford GPW

Sounds like your priorities are in order, Rob. No debt=freedom. My Y and I became completely debt-free about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I sleep much better at night knowing I don't owe anyone.

Sometimes, though, I imagine how many toys I'd have if I didn't have any kids....

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyPlaza View Post
    Sometimes, though, I imagine how many toys I'd have if I didn't have any kids....

Pete
    Tell me about it, Pete...I think about that myself, every now and again.

BTW, what part of the Peach State are you in? My wife has kinfolk up there everywhere, and we go up there all the time...we were just in Andersonville a couple of weeks ago, in St. Simons/Jekyll/Brunswick before then, Savannah before that, and Atlanta about 4 months ago...that state is like a second home, lol.

Rob

1943 Ford GPW

Looks like a great project you have there Rob! Nice history on it too. Something I find interesting, is the history on some of these cars how they have been parked since the early 80s, as I've heard of others besides yours with the same story. What I find interesting about it though is the "being parked since the early 80s" part, being that Christine came out in the early 80s. Now if its just a coincidence that these cars were going on 20+ years at that time frame and that's when the owners decided to put them up, I don't know, but it sure makes me wonder if Christine had anything to do with it...
    1958 Plymouth Belvedere 2 dr ht (under restoration)

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE

I kind of doubt it, Jackie. I would think that it was merely because the cars were getting some age and thus "retired" naturally.
    To put it in perspective, a 25 year old car today is a 1991 model. Think of all the 91s that are just parked in one's backyard, etc., in favor of a newer one.

Rob, I'm in Macon and my shop in Juliette. Let me know the next time y'all are coming through and we'll have to hook up!
    Pete

Like George LeBay said in the novel, Jackie...."there's a time for everything"; maybe all of the 'Rollie LeBay's' in the 1980s thought it was a good time to put their Christine's out on their lawns, for the Arnie's of the world to find (like me), lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyPlaza View Post
    Rob, I'm in Macon and my shop in Juliette. Let me know the next time y'all are coming through and we'll have to hook up!
    Pete
    Awesome, Pete...I'll definitely look you up when I come through there again; my wife has kinfolk in Warner Robbins, just south of you. :)

Rob

1943 Ford GPW

Yeah, okay it makes sense due to the age of the cars at the time. Just like the same story today, the old cars get put up, and so the owners get a new one to replace it. I just maybe thought that Christine had something to do with the owners of a Christine-type car went when they saw Christine or read the book, oh no that's the same type of car that mine is etc., and gave them a good excuse to put them up. But I'm just kinda funny that way sometimes, forgive me.
    1958 Plymouth Belvedere 2 dr ht (under restoration)

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE

No forgiveness needed, Jackie, all just speculation.
    Perhaps there were some folk out there that wanted Granny to stop driving her old Plymouth because it was the same car as Christine, though.

Pete

Yeah, I doubt the old high school teacher I got mine from ever watched a movie, much less Christine, lol.

Rob

1943 Ford GPW

A few more pics of the old gal, before I removed everything and put it all in storage:

Rob

1943 Ford GPW