Thread: AMT model build of christine

AMT model build of christine

Hi everyone,

Just signed up on this forum in the hope of finding some info about the orginal christine car as I am building a 1:25 AMT model. I want to try and get things as close as possible to the movie car and so far I have some hi res engine pics and exterior shots but not interior or underbody photos which would be very useful for me as that is the stage I am at with this kit.

If anyone has good photos of the underside of the car factory fresh and interior shots they wouldn't mind sharing I would really appreciate it!

Hope you dont mind this post if its a little random I apologize but I hope its something some of you may like to see when its done.

David

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    Look forward to watching you build her

Lots of info here. More after you have posted 30 times I think it is
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Quote Originally Posted by OzySteve View Post
    Look forward to watching you build her

Lots of info here. More after you have posted 30 times I think it is
    Thanks OzySteve,

Looking forward to building it. Will definitely post up some pics!

Captain Bionic Grandpa of AUS OzySteve's Avatar
    Have you thought about what scene you are going to build too

There are subtle differences
    Build it yourself, then at least you know it will be right.

Check out the older posts from a member called Manos. he replicates key scenes from the movies with his models and goes into great detail. very inspiring if you are a skilled model maker.
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

Ozysteve, pretty much want to copy the fresh off the factory line look with this kit. Its my first time building this amt model and may build different variants later on. So the golden block with the chrome rockers, air cleaner cases and so on. The wheels in the amt kit are not so good as far as the whitewall is concerned. Basically not enough covering the sidewall and I will change the downturned tailpipes to straight trim pieces like christine.

I have got to be honest I am new to modelling with this being my second model kit ever. Its something I never had patience for as a kid but now I'm older I dont mind if a model takes me 5weeks to build. Which is pretty much how long the first model took for me to build! I went with scratch built parts and extra detailing on that and will probably do something similar with the christine kit.

billy whizz, I can only see two threads by manos at the moment. I guess more may become available after the 30posts?

, Dave!

I have 2 of those AMT kits (still in wrappers), as well as the large die-cast Ertl versions (the red '58 Belvy, and the Christine with the operating headlights), as well as a slew of the smaller die-cast versions of Christine, too. :)

Rob
    "Let's motorvate!" - Arnie Cunningham

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1943 Ford GPW
    1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan
    1962 Ford Falcon Ratwagon
    1974/5 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile cop car
    2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 R/T

I have just ordered a second amt christine kit aswell. This current one I'm working on was going to be completely factory fresh. I'm tempted to give it some light weathering (more for experimental purposes and practice) to give it the look of a car with a few miles on it. Still not 100% sure I wont revert back to the original plan. Dont know, what do you guys think?

Some work on the chassis, exhaust and engine. Just trying out stuff here, i've already added a light dusting to the floor pan after this pic to give it the look of covering a few miles. As you can see it looks like a mix of new and used parts at the moment.

I'm going to attempt to use alclad chrome for the bumpers and home made bare metal foil for the side trim. I did a trial run on the bare shell to see how it might look and I think it will work quite nicely.

Anyway, more to come and feedback welcome. Would still love to find a underbody shot of one of these cars factory original.

David have you tried to search the net for the pic you need. Christine may not have been original underneath. She was a used car or car's. The car has a black tar looking stuff on the bottom and I think the muffler would be silver. My car was anyway. That looks nice what you have started.

Wow! Great detail David! I do like the rusting of the exhaust--very nice touch.
    Pete
    "Stick with me, kid, and you'll have horse turds as big as diamonds."

Thanks Pete. My second kit may end up being made similar to how it was when it was for sale at George LeBay's place.

Chrissy, I've looked all over the place. Alot of photos I find are resto stuff so its a cleaned up and body coloured floor pan. I did notice in a few photos that some of the cars come with a black underseal like you mention with no overspray whatsoever unlike the chevy and ford stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    My second kit may end up being made similar to how it was when it was for sale at George LeBay's place.
    I'd love to see this done (someone has done it in the past, too, but it's always awesome to see).

Rob
    "Let's motorvate!" - Arnie Cunningham

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1943 Ford GPW
    1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan
    1962 Ford Falcon Ratwagon
    1974/5 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile cop car
    2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 R/T

This guy took that one step further with his model kit... Pretty cool.

George Costanza- Jerry, just remember, itís not a lie if you believe it.

Liking the little kyosho/amt effort. :)

Here are a couple of pics. Getting there with the underside. Hopefully get to paint the body soon in some paints I have never used before.

Slow going but I am experimenting as I go.

Lovely work there Dave...maybe you should display the car upside down.

Will save you painting the roof too!
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

Wow! Looks great. You can almost smell the grease on the u-joints!
    Pete

Haha, thanks guys. Progress is a little slow going just doing little bits as and when but here are a couple of mods I have made to thee interior to make it closer to the movie car.

The seats with the kit are for a 57 belvedere I believe so made a small change to the front and rear to match the 58 spec interior in christine.

More like the actual seats in christine now.

Front seats modified aswell and red embossing put down for the carpet.

I have some more embossing for the seat centres and some vinyl sheets coming aswell for the door cards, which I have also modified.

I was curious to see what MCG's photo etch kit was like for the car and I have to be brutally honest. It is very disappointing. I wont be using any of it I dont think.

Quick black wash over the standard grille in this photo but I might sand the back of this piece down to open up the grille apertures. Which is something I have seen people do successfully on other model kits.

More to come soon I hope.

Impressive!
    Pete