Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1957 Plymouth Suburban Wagon 6 Passanger

The 301 is a variant of the 318. Most of the parts are interchangeable with the 1957-1966 318.
    You can bore the cylinders and you can have a 318!
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

Nice find. I like Wagons just like any other 2 door & four door bodies.
    Beavis & Butthead 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial King View Post
    The 301 is a variant of the 318. Most of the parts are interchangeable with the 1957-1966 318.
    You can bore the cylinders and you can have a 318!
    What's nice is you don't even need to bore it to be a 318. The 301 and 318 share the same bore size. The 301 has a shorter stroke which it shares with the 277.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57allparinfo - Copy.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	12862
    Last edited by 57belv; 01-14-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 57belv View Post
    What's nice is you don't even need to bore it to be a 318. The 301 and 318 share the same bore size. The 301 has a shorter stroke which it shares with the 277.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57allparinfo - Copy.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	12862
    Nice!! That's some pretty cool info info for sure!

Not a whole lot of progress... but I finally got her in the garage, and started cleaning some windows LOL.
    I couldn't get the driver window up so I pulled the sad door panel and 1 can of WD40 and it was up!

Also got a few Taillights too. (Sorry John, couldn't pass up the good deal on these)

And since this is an international site, I helped my German nieghbor send a ahipping container over seas! Was fun but exhausting!

Welp, i took some advice i got and ran with it. I used CLR (Calcium Lime and Rust) on the Suburban to see how well I could get the original paint back. I'm super happy with the results, and I think I will keep the patina on the car. I do however, want to paint Fresh white paint on the roof and inside the savoy style trim area. I think that would look pretty cool. Pics to follow.

I forgot, I also found a tailgate with matching patina in Texas! 350.00 but it's worth it for the color...

Nice work Cloverdragger.

I forgot I got this photo yesterday too from the guy I bought the car from! Original photo before the car was pulled out of the woods. Parked in 1973 and pulled out in 2017!

What a great car. I can’t believe it sat for so long but didn’t get damaged by anyone. I can imagine how it will look once it’s done - very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by retrodaz View Post
    What a great car. I can’t believe it sat for so long but didn’t get damaged by anyone. I can imagine how it will look once it’s done - very cool!
    I'm very surprised on the condition as well! There is some floor rot, but the outside doesn't appear to have a single dent or rust hole. It is truly amazing indeed!! For 40 years in the dirt, with dirt up to the rockers, I'd say she did well in the elements!

Please add to your story and let us see what this suburban looks like now.

Please add to your story and let us see what this suburban looks like now.
    Not sure what you mean? My first post states when I got and and the price. Do you want the WHOLE story? Also, I have been posting photos as I have been working on it.

Yes I think it shows the build quality might have been bad in some (probably too many) cases, but if this one leaked badly it would never be in such good shape. Either way it gives you a great start. It deserves to be saved!

Sorry Paul, I mis-read your post. I thought there was yet one more Suburban that you scored.
    But anything you can add to your story would be welcome reading.

Sorry Paul, I mis-read your post. I thought there was yet one more Suburban that you scored.
    But anything you can add to your story would be welcome reading.
    Ah! There is yet, another wagon, that I am driving to Kansas to pick up this Saturday... 10 hours 1 way, and I have to be back by Sunday night.. Its going to be rough. Its a 2 door 57 wagon that has been raped of all its parts. There is a 318 in the wagon that I hope I can use in my wagon (the entire reason for the purchase). I paid 225.00 for the wagon, and I have to go get it. I will post some photos of this poor old girl shortly. There is not much left of her. I'm putting the rest of the wagon for sale for the same 225.00 if someone can use the body and frame. No title tho.

The story on my blue 4 door wagon, kinda goes like this.. I saw it on Craigslist for $2500.00. I called the owner like 10 times with no answer. Then I forgot all about the wagon. 8 months later, My friend Adam posts a photo of the wagon at his house. I was like "WHOOAA!! Thats the wagon from the woods!" He told me that the original guy that had the wagon got some many calls, he was tired of dealing with it and sold it to some guy locally for $1,000.00. That new owner brought it home to his wife as a family project to work on. The wife said "I LOVE IT!!! I always wanted a 57 CHEVY Wagon!!" LOL!! The husband informed her it was a Plymouth.. and she had no desire to see the car any longer!

So my friend Adam was there to scoop up the car for the same $1,000.00. While the car was with the previous owner's shop, the tailgate was stolen (or so they say). Since Adam had the car, he cleaned out all the trash, pulled the broken motor out, put his 4 red spare rims and tires on the car and got ALL 4 wheels rolling. Adam ran into some IRS financial trouble and he needed money quick. He didn't post it only, but only spread the word to some friends. I caught wind of the sale, and wanted it immediately. I talked to him about the car all day to ensure it was a complete car and not something that has been messed with (I only like what I call virgin cars. (cars that are complete and original) I don't like messing with cars that have had factory wires cut, or half ass modifications made) His price was $1250.00 due to his painted wheels and decent tires on the car and I happily agreed. I paid the man, and after i got back from trip to Alaska for Christmas, I drove 4 hours to pick up the wagon!

The rest is history!!

"Been askin' Three Hunert, Two fifty for You!"

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/...488992295.html
    "She'll Start, You'll Need These."

Quote Originally Posted by 58Belvedere View Post
    "Been askin' Three Hunert, Two fifty for You!"

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/...488992295.html

HAHAHAHHAA!! I never thought about that movie quote! TOO FUNNY! That is my post. Just trying to break even on getting this second wagon. I will be taking the motor out, and any other odds and end I can use. The shell and frame I really don't need. So if I can sell it, COOL! if not... I'll cut it up and save the good sheet metal, and scrap the rest!

Paul, I appreciate you giving all of us the skinny on the car. I am excited to see how things progress on your end. I believe most of us do. It's like cheering for the hometown team at the Thanksgiving Day Football game.
    Anyway, I can say we all appreciate seeing your success going on with the car.