Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1957 Plymouth Suburban Wagon 6 Passanger

1957 Plymouth Suburban Wagon 6 Passanger

So I scored this for 1250.00 this weekend. Needs a motor, has about 15% rusted floor, but DENT FREE and not molested!! I'm super excited to work on this. Thinking of finding a 1966 to 1968 mopar to swap in a drivetrian setup.

Photos to come shortly!! My Plymouth fleet is growing!

Good for you! Is the wifey happy about it? Marc.
    "She'll Start, You'll Need These."

Quote Originally Posted by cloverdragger View Post
    So I scored this for 1250.00 this weekend. Needs a motor, has about 15% rusted floor, but DENT FREE and not molested!! I'm super excited to work on this. Thinking of finding a 1966 to 1968 mopar to swap in a drivetrian setup.

Photos to come shortly!! My Plymouth fleet is growing!
    That's great news mate. Is it a two or four door model?
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

My wife wanted a puppy, and I wanted the car... haha. We both got what we wanted!

4 door model, but I want to install the 9 passenger seat in the rear along with trying to find a vintage roof rack for it. My hardtop will go on hold as I want to rotisserie the hardtop. So I'm going to jump right on this wagon here shortly!

I also got a lead for a 57 wagon that's been sitting out in the field. I located the owners information but I don't have a phone number so I need to make a trip out and talk to the landowner about the car. It does look to have some usable Parts on it.

Looks FANTASTIC!
    Failure is not falling down, it is not getting up again
    (00)==v==(00)

I also got a lead for a 57 wagon that's been sitting out in the field. I located the owners information but I don't have a phone number so I need to make a trip out and talk to the landowner about the car. It does look to have some usable Parts on it.

I like to see that there is fire in your eyes to get your wagon progress in motion.
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

Man, that looks like a great solid car to work with! I find it peculiar how the the sheet metal for the regular passenger car was different between the divisions, but the wagons all shared the same skin in 57-58 models.
    Last edited by 57belv; 01-10-2018 at 06:30 PM.

That wagon could be beautiful when she is finished. Good find.

Quote Originally Posted by 57belv View Post
    Man, that looks like a great solid car to work with! I find it peculiar how the the sheet metal for the regular passenger car was different between the divisions, but the wagons all shared the same skin in 57-58 models.
    Nice! I didn't know that! Thats pretty cool!!

And I always have a fire for building cool things!! I need find a good drive train donor... Im liking the idea of using a 66 to 68 chyrsler New Yorker with its 440 big block!

Great score Paul. What color do you all intend it to be when completed? I hope you are going to go with a push button 3 speed tranny or manual. I believe 1962 aluminum Torqueflites are the last of car cable/button and 66 for RV's and such. Marc.
    "She'll Start, You'll Need These."

That'll be sweet when done, looking forward to seeing progress pics..

Quote Originally Posted by 58Belvedere View Post
    Great score Paul. What color do you all intend it to be when completed? I hope you are going to go with a push button 3 speed tranny or manual. I believe 1962 aluminum Torqueflites are the last of car cable/button and 66 for RV's and such. Marc.
    According to mopar Jesus (AKA Jim Rawa) 62 and 65 3 speed will work with the cable tranny.

Jesse in Kansas found a 57 wagon with 318 that turns over. If it's possible, I may snag it up and drop it in and call it a day. It would be fun to go with a big block drivetrain but honestly I want to just fix it up and drive it. My 2 door hardtop Christine build is really my main focus for time and finances. But who knows...

That looks like a perfect candidate for a Christine 9-seater. Imagine all those girlfriends you could fit in the back....buy them all burgers and watch them all choke to death at a drive-in!!!!
    Captain Keep-On-Thread strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    That looks like a perfect candidate for a Christine 9-seater. Imagine all those girlfriends you could fit in the back....buy them all burgers and watch them all choke to death at a drive-in!!!!
    Haha!! I'm thinking of going green and white for the colors, not a dark green, but not a light green either. Im so far away from paint i shouldn't even be thinking about it, but its fun too!

This weekend I will be making a list of what this car needs to be a driver. I also just paid 225.00 for another 57 parts wagon in Kansas. Not sure if it was a good purchase or not, but even if it has just a few good parts, it will probably break even for the price.

So is the engine seized in this? Or is it even there I suppose I should ask.
    Last edited by 57belv; 01-12-2018 at 05:52 PM.

So is the engine seized in this? Or is it even there I suppose I should ask.
    Engine had a crack in a piston I believe and the previous owner pulled it out and took it all apart.. I told him to keep it, as id rather go with a 318 that will fit or just an entirely updated drive line.

Engine had a crack in a piston I believe and the previous owner pulled it out and took it all apart.. I told him to keep it, as id rather go with a 318 that will fit or just an entirely updated drive line.
    Gotcha. Yeah I've had to delve far deeper into the '57 301 I obtained then I had planned. It was supposed to be just a quick clean and reseal job, but it was so nasty inside, I ended up tearing it down completely so I could get at all the oil passages. So then it's turned into "might as well replace the bearings, rings, timing chain." It's still a poor mans rebuild because I had no machine work done to it. just freshened it up. It's not like this engine will ever see many miles as long as I own it.

Gotcha. Yeah I've had to delve far deeper into the '57 301 I obtained then I had planned. It was supposed to be just a quick clean and reseal job, but it was so nasty inside, I ended up tearing it down completely so I could get at all the oil passages. So then it's turned into "might as well replace the bearings, rings, timing chain." It's still a poor mans rebuild because I had no machine work done to it. just freshened it up. It's not like this engine will ever see many miles as long as I own it.
    That's what I'm off. LOL. I don't want to dump of money into a motor that i don't really want. 57 Was the last year for the 301, so I'd rather work with a 318 since parts are so much easier to obtain. But if i'm going to spend tons of $$$ on a motor, i'd rather it be a 440!

The 57 wagon has a 318 in it up in Kansas and I was told it turns over, so that is a start. I'm going to see if I can get that motor running, and just drop it in the wagon. I will be taking an inventory this weekend of all the parts I need to get this beast going!

That's what I'm off. LOL. I don't want to dump of money into a motor that i don't really want. 57 Was the last year for the 301, so I'd rather work with a 318 since parts are so much easier to obtain. But if i'm going to spend tons of $$$ on a motor, i'd rather it be a 440!

The 57 wagon has a 318 in it up in Kansas and I was told it turns over, so that is a start. I'm going to see if I can get that motor running, and just drop it in the wagon. I will be taking an inventory this weekend of all the parts I need to get this beast going!
    Actually, 57 is the only year for the "A" block 301, but I totally understand where you're coming from by not wanting to spend money on an engine you're not excited about. That's the position I'm in with having the flathead six in my coupe. It's actually a really good running engine so I'm torn about replacing it, but I just can't get enthusiastic about it because it'looks and feels too out of place in a forward look car. Now if I had a 47 Plymouth then sure, it wouldn't bother me, but 57's are supposed to be all about futuristic design and looking fast, and then they go and put a depression era motor in there? Oh how I really wish the slant six had been released sooner!

But for me to do a drivetrain swap, It has to be a completely factory setup, so it will look original. I didn't wan't to deal with mismatched parts anymore, like I've done in the past. Of course, switching from a six to a V8 still requires a lot of work and modifications. All of which I'm still undecided about. I'll keep plugging away on the engine and trans though, and then I'll have to assess the situation after.
    Last edited by 57belv; 01-13-2018 at 06:43 PM.