Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: ChrisFBartlett 4-door 58 Belvedere

  1. #21
    I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East of England , UK
    Posts
    13,755
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFBartlett View Post
    Thank you, Rebels. I’ll investigate and report back!

    Another newbie question: What does this pedal do?

    Attachment 13248
    Looks like the windshield washers , which will also make the wipers activate a couple sweeps

  2. #22
    History correction: the car has been in a garage since 1990. The owner passed away in 2003. The car was only brought out of storage this summer (2019) after 29 years of slumber and I will bring her back to life this coming week. Stay Tuned!


    [p]
    [p]

  3. #23
    ICC member 57belv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,153
    So was the car buried under all that stuff in the middle pic?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by 57belv View Post
    So was the car buried under all that stuff in the middle pic?
    Yes. The family thought it was all just a pile of stuff. They didn't even know there was a car there.

  5. #25
    That pedal is for the dimmer in the hadlamps
    My asshole brother brought her back in September, '57.

  6. #26
    Installed a new coil and fuel filter... and took another pic!


  7. #27
    I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East of England , UK
    Posts
    13,755
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFBartlett View Post
    Installed a new coil and fuel filter... and took another pic!
    Have you had it Running now ????

  8. #28
    Not yet! I'll install the Ignition switch tonight and see...

  9. #29
    ICC MEMBER big m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Williams, Ca.
    Posts
    5,891
    Chris, check to see if the fuel has a varnish smell to it. If so, you'll want to drain the tank out. Varnished fuel can cause the valves to stick in the head after cooling down, causing bent pushrods.

    There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank, use a half inch drive ratchet with a short extension, the end of the extension will fit the plug just fine. After the old stale fuel is out, replace the plug and fill with fresh fuel.

    ---John
    Big M Auto-

    "We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by big m View Post
    Chris, check to see if the fuel has a varnish smell to it. If so, you'll want to drain the tank out. Varnished fuel can cause the valves to stick in the head after cooling down, causing bent pushrods.

    There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank, use a half inch drive ratchet with a short extension, the end of the extension will fit the plug just fine. After the old stale fuel is out, replace the plug and fill with fresh fuel.

    ---John
    Thanks, John, I'll do that.

    On the new solenoid, I bypassed the two big studs (ground and positive) and got it to crank.
    When bypassing the positive stud and the small post #1, I get a loud click.


    Last edited by ChrisFBartlett; 10-03-2019 at 02:30 AM.

  11. #31
    Chris the pics your posting are great. Always exciting to watch the work going on. Keep them coming.
    You have the big guy himself helping you. Also best place for parts.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy Mopar View Post
    Chris the pics your posting are great. Always exciting to watch the work going on. Keep them coming.
    You have the big guy himself helping you. Also best place for parts.
    Yes, I'm super grateful for John's assistance and parts!

    Update: Cranking, but still no spark.
    Over the weekend I worked on the distributor and replaced the rotor and condensor. Still no spark coming from the new ignition coil. Then I noticed this wire was all exposed, possibly shorting inside the distributor cap. That may be the problem. Replacing that today. All inexpensive parts that are easy to replace.


    Last edited by ChrisFBartlett; 10-08-2019 at 03:10 AM.

  13. #33
    ICC MEMBER big m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Williams, Ca.
    Posts
    5,891
    That wire definitely needs to be replaced, as it is shorting the ignition point circuit, not allowing the breaker points to do their job.
    Big M Auto-

    "We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

  14. #34
    Replaced the wire, Replaced the points but can’t figure out how to mount the plate reliably. It seems to move around, not allowing the points to reliably rest against the cam. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Should the plate be fastened down?

  15. #35
    Moderator Imperial King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    8,767
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFBartlett View Post
    Replaced the wire, Replaced the points but can’t figure out how to mount the plate reliably. It seems to move around, not allowing the points to reliably rest against the cam. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Should the plate be fastened down?

    http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/L.../046/index.htm
    Think outside the box. Use your imagination.

  16. #36
    Thank you for this, Imperial King!
    I'm done messing with this. I've ordered the Mopar electronic ignition. Anyone else done this?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mopar-distributor.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	13265
    Last edited by ChrisFBartlett; 10-16-2019 at 10:13 PM.

  17. #37
    We had some crazy fires last weekend.


  18. #38
    ICC MEMBER big m's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Williams, Ca.
    Posts
    5,891
    I have electronic ignition in my modified Savoy, but conventional breaker pointy ignition in everything else. I've actually had more issues with the electronic than any of the others. On my 3rd module since buying the car, only 2 years ago.

    Glad you made it through the wildfires, scary stuff indeed!

    I'll be down in your vicinity in a couple weeks delivering parts and picking a car up, so if you need help, perhaps I could lend a hand.

    ---John
    Big M Auto-

    "We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by big m View Post
    I have electronic ignition in my modified Savoy, but conventional breaker pointy ignition in everything else. I've actually had more issues with the electronic than any of the others. On my 3rd module since buying the car, only 2 years ago.

    Glad you made it through the wildfires, scary stuff indeed!

    I'll be down in your vicinity in a couple weeks delivering parts and picking a car up, so if you need help, perhaps I could lend a hand.

    ---John
    Thanks for the info, John. Would love to meet up. Thank you.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •