Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ChrisFBartlett 4-door 58 Belvedere

Wow...those fires were close!

Rob
    "Let's motorvate!" - Arnie Cunningham

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1943 Ford GPW
    1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan
    1962 Ford Falcon Ratwagon
    1974/5 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile cop car
    2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 R/T

Wow, are you ok with the result of the fires? That pic of it looks like a living nightmare. I heard on the news report up here that many of you lost power for a week, true?

Nice car, do you have her running yet?[/QUOTE]

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3f_iNZg1Tg/

We were evacuated for the weekend, but are back home. This image doesn't show the full danger we were in. I posted a video, above, of me driving through the flames to get out of our neighborhood. Thank the Heavens and California firefighters for keeping our homes from being burned.

I haven't gotten the car running yet, but thanks to the very generous Big John for coming by last week. We believe it's the ignition switch. I'm replacing that this weekend.
    Last edited by ChrisFBartlett; 11-05-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: move link up

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFBartlett View Post
    Wow, are you ok with the result of the fires? That pic of it looks like a living nightmare. I heard on the news report up here that many of you lost power for a week, true?

Nice car, do you have her running yet?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B3f_iNZg1Tg/

We were evacuated for the weekend, but are back home. This image doesn't show the full danger we were in. I posted a video, above, of me driving through the flames to get out of our neighborhood. Thank the Heavens and California firefighters for keeping our homes from being burned.

I haven't gotten the car running yet, but thanks to the very generous Big John for coming by last week. We believe it's the ignition switch. I'm replacing that this weekend.[/QUOTE]

That video is scary! We get fires up here in Idaho, but not as bad as you guys. So sorry you had to go through that...........
    1958 Plymouth Belvedere 2 dr ht (under restoration)

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE

It's been a while, but here's the latest. I got it running and it ran surprisingly smooth, but I haven't driven it. The oil had a LOT of coolant in it so we pulled the heads and discovered this... What happened to that poor piston??

Looking at a rebuild, or an engine swap. I want to get this on the road as soon as possible. What engines work with this transmission?

Last edited by ChrisFBartlett; 02-11-2020 at 08:00 PM.

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar

Ask John (Big M) if he has a Good Runner Engine , Its gonna be your quickest solution, and at least you are both in California , so not a million miles to Ship..

Found a rebuilt 1965 Chrysler 318 small block and will have this one installed.

Chris, the 1965 engine will not bolt up to your transmission.

Pre-'62 318 engines used a crankshaft with an extended flange for bolting the torque converter up to.

Call or text if you have any further questions.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Wow, I'm shocked that poor motor was even running with that blown up piston. Adding to what John said, it may actually be your best bet to rebuild the original motor, if you dont want to swap out trannys. You can use the new motor you got for internal parts (as long as they're good) as those motors are both Polys. Could save you a few bucks with the rebuild. The difference between Polys and regular 318s is the heads are completely different, along with the camshaft.
    1958 Plymouth Belvedere 2 dr ht (under restoration)

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE

The seller said it's a poly 318 engine. If it still doesn't match up, pulling parts to rebuild the original motor is another option.

The crankshaft prior to 1962 is extended Chris because of the cast iron Torqueflite's torque converter mounts directly to it verses the aluminum torqueflite, which used a flex plate to mount to the torque converter. There's more differences, but those are the big ones. If you want to use the 1965 318, then change out the crankshaft with the 1958, even then,it should go to a machine shop so they can check the tolerances. Rebuilding the 58's 318 is not a bad idea. It's your ride, we're only advising you.
    Go outside and enjoy life.

Thank you for the advice. The crankshafts are interchangeable?

They are interchangeable. However, I strongly advise you to bring the engines to a reputable machine shop to have the tolerances checked. You don't want to run an engine with journal and bearing clearances out of specification. This could result in catastrophic engine failure.

Here is an article that you may want to read, Look at paragraph 10. It backs up what we have mentioned to you about the engine differences from 1962-1966 U.S. 318 and 1962-67 Canadian 318.

Thanks! Can you include a link?

I ran into these same problems with my 58 when I used a mid sixties poly. Not only are there crank differences, but the bell housing bolt pattern is different.

[A few more facts are in order here. All of the '56-'66 poly motors have the same rear block-face bolt pattern as the later LA motors] I don't know why that article says this, because it's not true. The lower bolts are in different locations between the 56-61 and 62-66 engines.

Personally I would try to stay will the 58 engine and repair it if viable.
    Last edited by 57belv; 02-23-2020 at 05:27 PM.

This issue has made me curious about the B block engines. Do they have the same problems as the poly's when going between castiron TF to the aluminum TF?

She's finally back on the road after 30 years! Still plenty to do. But she's up and running. Many thanks to John at BigM for the super clean 1960 318 v8 we installed.
    Next on the list to do:
    - repair and paint the lower front valance
    - mount the wide whites.

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Awesome News mate

Awesome indeed!