Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New memeber here, just saying hi

Smile New memeber here, just saying hi

I'm from the U.S. and I live in the state of California.
    I currently own/restoring a 1958 Plymouth Plaza 4 door sedan with a 3.8 liter Flathead Inline 6 mated to a 3 speed manual transmission (3 on the tree) with overdrive.

How's it going? I got a 58 Plaza Silver Special 4dr with a flathead 6 and 3 speed... No overdrive however. Post some pictures when you get the chance!

1957 Savoy 2dr sedan, 1957 Belvedere 2dr hardtop, 1957 2dr Suburban, 1958 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Belvedere 4dr sedan, 1961 Plymouth Savoy 4dr sedan, 1962 Newport 4dr sedan, 1963 Imperial 4dr, 1963 Imperial 2dr

Glad to meet you here silverperzon,enjoy the club.

Great, thanks for asking, what about you? Hm a Plaza with the Silver Special package, that is indeed rare. Alright then, will do!

Glad to meet you as well! Thanks I will.

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    to the Forum mate,

Please post some PICs of your build when you get a chance..

Clive
    UK

!! Alabama here.

Don't new people still have to post 10 or so posts before they can post pics, or has that been changed?

I have just now, you're welcome to check them out if you like. I got the car a little less than 2 weeks ago.

a board.........I have a Plaza as well cept might is 2 dr sedan......

A Radio eh?.....must be nice.....

Last edited by DVJohn; 05-05-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks! Hm, cool are you sure its not the business coupe with the optional rear seats? I've never seen a 2 dr Plaza before.
    Yeah she does indeed have an AM radio, only problem is that the speaker doesn't work, the radio itself doesn't work (the tuning knob turns endlessly and the needle remains stationary) and oh the chrome is heavily pitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry57Savoy View Post

Don't new people still have to post 10 or so posts before they can post pics, or has that been changed?
    That was the Old Forum Larry, New Members can post PICs straight off..

Cool Pictures mate .. I see you set them as a Album,

Here is the Link for the Album

http://internationalchristineclub.ne...php?albumid=91

Quote Originally Posted by Rebels-59 View Post
    Cool Pictures mate .. I see you set them as a Album,

Here is the Link for the Album

http://internationalchristineclub.ne...php?albumid=91
    Thank you, I'm doing the best that I can with her, but it's hard to the parts I need considering that I'm only 18 and with a tight budget.
    However she does run (give or take 3 mins before shutting off) and I'm still puzzled on why it does not have an oil filter, not even a bypass filter..

Hey that's a nice car! Could you take a photo of how the spotlight is mounted? I'd really like to see how it's set up!

I can understand a tight budget. I'm only 23 myself. Got my first car a 1957 Savoy at 16. She was a flathead 6 w/ 2 spd auto. I've since done quite a bit with her... She's fully restored and has traveled all over the country.

The flathead motors don't have to have a filter. In fact it was an option but by the late 50s it might have been standard but I'm not sure. I might have an extra oil filter canister laying around if you want it. You'll just have to run new oil lines if they were plugged.

-Austin

1957 Savoy 2dr sedan, 1957 Belvedere 2dr hardtop, 1957 2dr Suburban, 1958 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Savoy 4dr sedan, 1959 Belvedere 4dr sedan, 1961 Plymouth Savoy 4dr sedan, 1962 Newport 4dr sedan, 1963 Imperial 4dr, 1963 Imperial 2dr

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthFury View Post
    Hey that's a nice car! Could you take a photo of how the spotlight is mounted? I'd really like to see how it's set up!

I can understand a tight budget. I'm only 23 myself. Got my first car a 1957 Savoy at 16. She was a flathead 6 w/ 2 spd auto. I've since done quite a bit with her... She's fully restored and has traveled all over the country.

The flathead motors don't have to have a filter. In fact it was an option but by the late 50s it might have been standard but I'm not sure. I might have an extra oil filter canister laying around if you want it. You'll just have to run new oil lines if they were plugged.

-Austin
    Sure thing! When I have the time, expect a pic by next week Sunday, (I have the car kept at another house)

Seriously, a 1957 Savoy at age 16? that's awesome! It nice to hear that you fully restored her. (What's her name and where has she traveled to?)

Really? That's a relief, since I did do some research on the engine and all of them had the bypass filter installed. There were some others that didn't have them like 230ci Dodge flathead 6. If you do have it, I would greatly appreciate it, if not then that's alright, though that will mean frequent oil changes (Way more than usual since I live in the desert region of California where the car is kept)
    Oh! I almost forgot, I named my car Madeline (since her trunk lid locked my tools inside, to which I got mad and spent a good hour or so, before I managed to unlock it, and well the "Line" part is self explanatory when you look under the hood.
    Last edited by Silverperzon; 05-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.

The radio should be an easy fix...isn't it a fabric band to move the tuner?

Any speaker of similar size and impedance can be made to work too. And the chrome is no longer pitted....it has "patina" - sounds much better already.

Looking forward to your progress on the car - always ask on here if you need advice - there is plenty of helpful tips to be had, and all for free.

Cool deal ill see if I can find the oil filter. Ill let you know. If you need any help or parts everyone here will be glad to help.

My 57 is named Bonnie. By country I meant just in the United States haha. I've driven from NC to California and back twice. Drove Route 66 and saw all the sights. Last summer I stayed in CA for 3 months working for Big M Auto. John (BigM on these forums) the owner, probably has anything you will ever need for your car. I plan in heading back to Cali this summer again.

-Austin

Hi from the North East of England mate!!! Hog.
    http://internationalchristineclub.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=39&dateline=129736665  61986-2016
    30 Years of Tossin' on with owld Shite!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by billy whizz View Post
    The radio should be an easy fix...isn't it a fabric band to move the tuner?

Any speaker of similar size and impedance can be made to work too. And the chrome is no longer pitted....it has "patina" - sounds much better already.

Looking forward to your progress on the car - always ask on here if you need advice - there is plenty of helpful tips to be had, and all for free.
    I believe so, yes. Though that would mean taking one out of my antique arvin radio if I can't find a replacement.

Oh alright then, thanks for the info. Good point haha, I guess I'll leave it be and just try to repair the inside components.

I'll try to post more pics of her progress, and will do! Thank you. :)