Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: My 57 belvedere

  1. #41
    ICC member 57belv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,253
    Ugh, my desktop puked the other night and it has all my pics I need for refs. What I need to know is on the V8's whether the engine mounts bolt to the back side of the block ears or the front. I seem to recall it's the back. Does anyone have a pic?

  2. #42
    ICC member 57belv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,253
    Welp, here it is almost two years later and I'm still waiting for seat covers. Dammit! I dunno what's with upholstery shops nowadays. They tell me the covers are with the sewer and should be done soon. I say that's most likely a bunch of malarkey.
    In the mean time I did buy a new optima battery, ordered some kick panels (Which are supposed to take three weeks) and picked up another manual transmission.

    Oddly enough this particular 3 speed is longer than either of the two I already have, which begs the question why are there long vs short tail shaft transmissions? I know the wagons have a longer wheelbase, but I'm curious if the used the longer units in the standard cars. I will take pics and post later on, but I am curious if it will turn out that the long shaft manual is the same length as the powerflite and thus share the same driveshaft.
    Last edited by 57belv; 05-23-2021 at 06:40 PM.

  3. #43
    Moderator Imperial King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    8,988
    Quote Originally Posted by 57belv View Post
    Welp, here it is almost two years later and I'm still waiting for seat covers. Dammit! I dunno what's with upholstery shops nowadays. They tell me the covers are with the sewer and should be done soon. I say that's most likely a bunch of malarkey.
    In the mean time I did buy a new optima battery, ordered some kick panels (Which are supposed to take three weeks) and picked up another manual transmission.

    Oddly enough this particular 3 speed is longer than either of the two I already have, which begs the question why are there long vs short tail shaft transmissions? I know the wagons have a longer wheelbase, but I'm curious if the used the longer units in the standard cars. I will take pics and post later on, but I am curious if it will turn out that the long shaft manual is the same length as the powerflite and thus share the same driveshaft.
    2 years a long time to wait for your seat covers. Did you ask the shop if you can have the name and/ or the phone number to the sewer?
    On the topic of the tail shaft housing, if you get into a pickle and have to get another drive shaft you can always go to John.
    Go outside and enjoy life.

  4. #44
    ICC member 57belv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial King View Post
    2 years a long time to wait for your seat covers. Did you ask the shop if you can have the name and/ or the phone number to the sewer?
    On the topic of the tail shaft housing, if you get into a pickle and have to get another drive shaft you can always go to John.
    Yeah, so every time I've communicated with SMS (Which is only possible through emails now) I keep getting the same distraction tactics I've seen used with other customers.
    There are numerous complaints on the BBB's site regarding SMS, and it's maddening to see how similar each interaction was.

    It starts out where they'll say stuff like they need to check with the seat cover manager and get back to you, which they never do. It takes prodding on your end to get a reply.
    Then they'll say the covers will be done by such and such date, which they aren't. Followed by the story that the covers are at the sewers and should be done soon.

    It's like a damned script.
    I know many have talked with the owner, but that has mixed results. I also know some have waited two years and then finally received their stuff.

    It sucks cause I'm over a barrel. They've got my down payment and I don't know if I could get it back.
    Last edited by 57belv; 05-24-2021 at 03:21 PM.

  5. #45
    Moderator Imperial King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    8,988
    I had my experience with SMS years ago. I'll just say, I can appreciate your frustration.
    Go outside and enjoy life.

  6. #46
    ICC member 57belv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial King View Post
    I had my experience with SMS years ago. I'll just say, I can appreciate your frustration.
    What's really unfortunate is SMS bought the company I was originally going to buy from, and Labaron Bonney who also would've made covers, went under.

    I'm curious what your interactions with SMS entailed.

  7. #47
    ICC member 57belv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,253
    Heya John! Well I discovered something interesting that might shed light on why there was a discrepancy regarding the Hollander book listing and what I was dealing with. I picked up another manual transmission, but this one has a longer tail shaft. It's about four inches longer than both six cylinder units I currently have.
    Well I set it next to the powerflite and lo and behold they look to be the same length! So I'm wondering if that is what the Hollander book is referencing when it lists the drive shafts as the same for manual and powerflite.
    I'm just wondering why there are short vs. long shaft transmissions. I thought perhaps it was a regular car vs wagon application, but they don't have long and short automatics, do they? If not, why have different manuals?

    Manuals comparison:


    Long shaft manual and powerflite

  8. #48
    ICC member 57belv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,253
    I am relieved. I finally got all four wheels loosened up.

    Whoever put them on last must have been blasting away with an impact for several minutes on each bolt because my gawd they were ridiculously tight. I'm surprised threads can take that much torque.
    Anyways, now I can examine the one leaky tire I had (Which of course was the hardest to reach with the air hose)
    Imma see what the cause is, but if nothing else, at least I can put the bad one in a more accessible location.

  9. #49
    Moderator Imperial King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    8,988
    I'm glad you were able to get those wheels off without having striped any threads. Some shops put the wheels on with impact guns without regard of proper torque.
    I have a set of torx sticks of different sizes to allow for a set amount of torque no matter how high the torque is on the impact gun.
    Of course, doing it by hand with a proper torque wrench does the job too.
    Go outside and enjoy life.

  10. #50
    Moderator Imperial King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    8,988
    Quote Originally Posted by 57belv View Post
    What's really unfortunate is SMS bought the company I was originally going to buy from, and Labaron Bonney who also would've made covers, went under.

    I'm curious what your interactions with SMS entailed.
    My dealings with SMS goes back years ago when I was waiting to receive my inner panels and seat material for my Imperial. I didn't wait as long as you did, but it was quite awhile and their slowness was not appreciated since I wanted the car done so I could enjoy it.
    Go outside and enjoy life.

  11. #51
    ICC member 57belv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial King View Post
    I'm glad you were able to get those wheels off without having striped any threads. Some shops put the wheels on with impact guns without regard of proper torque.
    I have a set of torx sticks of different sizes to allow for a set amount of torque no matter how high the torque is on the impact gun.
    Of course, doing it by hand with a proper torque wrench does the job too.
    For now I just use my 4-way to snug em up. I don't have torque sticks atm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •