Thread: 1943 Ford GPW Arny Air Corp jeep

1943 Ford GPW Arny Air Corp jeep

A few pics of my project; originally an Army Air Corp vehicle, it was used by a north Georgia farmer for a tractor in it's post-war life. It's a bit further along than this now (after 10 years of owning it), only the images aren't all that to behold at this stage; I have done a lot more detail work to it (brakes, suspension, etc.), and have purchased 90% of the parts needed to finish it...now, I only need to find the time to complete it, lol. :)

Rob
    Last edited by Ghostsoldier; 09-25-2016 at 02:44 AM.
    "Let's motorvate!" - Arnie Cunningham

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1943 Ford GPW
    1957 Plymouth Savoy 4-door sedan
    1962 Ford Falcon Ratwagon
    1974/5 Dodge Monaco Bluesmobile cop car
    2005 Dodge Magnum 5.7 R/T

Now that's cool!

I've since re-primed it and repainted some of it the authentic olive drab, plus put four new tires on it...it's a work in progress. Especially the rear, as the old farmer actually cut and built a tailgate into the truck (which it shouldn't have)....something I'll have to fix with some new sheet metal, and my so-so welding skills. :)

Rob

"See anything green? see anything green....see anything GREEN?" - Arnie Cunningham, corpse

1943 Ford GPW

So hows the parts availability for old military jeeps? I always thought it would be cool to have one but have never come across one for sale.

That's cool! The Ford's have got to be rare as hen's teeth! Is that Willys hood original? I don't know my Jeeps very well, but that one looks like a neat project. Quite a piece of American history there.
    Pete
    "Stick with me, kid, and you'll have horse turds as big as diamonds."

Quote Originally Posted by 57belv View Post
    So hows the parts availability for old military jeeps? I always thought it would be cool to have one but have never come across one for sale.
    Actually, parts are easy to get, and relatively cheap, compared to '57-'58 Plymouths; there's a whole sub-culture of jeep restoration and parts suppliers out there, and I've spent money at many of them, lol.

Pete...that's a Willy's post-war hood, which came from a CJ; the post-war Hotchk!ss 4-banger I have also came from the same truck.

Rob

1943 Ford GPW

I'd love an old Jeep, they look lots of fun to own.

Am I right in saying they made them for decades, later ones are quite readily evailable?

Lee.
    Everything's good!

Coool Jeep I had a 57 Pontiac Star Chief Air Force Ambulance back in the 70's I towed my 65 GTO Racecar out to the track with it. With a tow bar LOL My driver turned a jeep over with us when I was stationed in the Army in Germany In 1963 :) We were going down a gravel road and He missed the turn and locked his brakes and we rolled over , Glad I had a Helment on. I hit my head on a big rock LOL

That would explain alot Bob!!! :)

I can drink Gasoline and Piss on a Bush Fire Rebels-59's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by christineuk View Post
    That would explain alot Bob!!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Doobster View Post
    I'd love an old Jeep, they look lots of fun to own.

Am I right in saying they made them for decades, later ones are quite readily evailable?

Lee.
    The WW2 (and even some of the early post-war versions) are getting harder to find; most are snatched up by the MVPA collectors in the former case, the 4-wheeling crowds for the latter; however, there are enough reproduction parts available that one could build a WW2 jeep from the ground up, for a modest fortune.

Rob

1943 Ford GPW

That's a cool Jeep, Rob!!

They bring pretty decent money here, the duck hunters like them.

---John
    Big M Auto-

"We buy junk, and sell antiques"
    ICC member since just after dirt, but before baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by big m View Post
    That's a cool Jeep, Rob!!

They bring pretty decent money here, the duck hunters like them.

---John
    Yeah, John...a decent WW2-era restoration from a MVPA guy will run you between 8 to 10 grand nowadays.

BTW, that restored jeep in the first pic is sporting a small-block Ford 302 V-8...it will haul @#$.

Rob
    Last edited by Ghostsoldier; 10-06-2016 at 11:51 PM.

1943 Ford GPW